+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Oxidation and the importance of well terminated speaker cables...

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Tet Offensive?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tet_Offensive
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shaun.

Of course if your contacts are gold or gold plated then oxidation will not occur anyway.

I'm Chris.

Although there are certain chemicals that can dissolve gold, this information from Wikipedia provides a fascinating piece of history.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_regia

"'When Germany invaded Denmark in World War II, Hungarian chemist George de Hevesy dissolved the gold Nobel Prizes of German physicists Max von Laue (1914) and James Franck (1925) in aqua regia to prevent the Nazis from confiscating them. The German government had prohibited Germans from accepting or keeping any Nobel Prize after jailed peace activist Carl von Ossietzky had received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1935. De Hevesy placed the resulting solution on a shelf in his laboratory at the Niels Bohr Institute. It was subsequently ignored by the Nazis who thought the jar—one of perhaps hundreds on the shelving—contained common chemicals. After the war, de Hevesy returned to find the solution undisturbed and precipitated the gold out of the acid. The gold was returned to the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences and the Nobel Foundation. They re-cast the medals and again presented them to Laue and Franck.[11][12]"

I'm Shaun.

Have used aqua regia countless times in the past as well as chromic acid another nasty bugger of a chemical cocktail.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Have used aqua regia countless times in the past as well as chromic acid another nasty bugger of a chemical cocktail.
    Nasty, but not as nasty as hydrofluoric acid.
    Barry

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Nasty, but not as nasty as hydrofluoric acid.
    LOL, I guess that would depend on whether you came into contact with it or not. I spent ten years of my chemistry career working on the development of organphosphate pesticides like Diazinon, Curacron, Methacriphos and Iodofenphos. These required a mandatory blood test every month to test for poisoning. I also did a lot of development work on a chemical called cypermethrin. This was permethrin with cyanide groups added to increase its effectiveness. That required the daily use of Sodium Cyanide as a solid powder. Any of these substances could and would kill you, it's all a case of relativity I guess. By the way, I'd like to guess that most of the substances I've mentioned are now banned.

I'm Demetris.

Hello everybody.
    I am in the market for spades and speaker cable. So I am glad to find this post here. You are mentioning red copper spades... Isn't copper supposed to be prawn to corrosion? and isn't it why there is so many coated connectors out there in the first place? Is red copper much less prawn to corrosion than normal copper? So much that it would be recommended? Some people say about bare cable connections, but on the other hand it's being said that connectors exist not only for convenience but also to avoid corrosion of bare cable. Your thoughts on these please. Also what do you know/think about silver plated connectors?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234