+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2M Black Upgrade

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Yes, I've heard this guys work first hand.

He's obviously very skilled as the results are really impressive. I do plan on having my Kb done by this guy with a fgs stylus and also have a few little bits added to the insides to push the performance up to the level of the Ortofon Vienna, or as close to it as possible.

He also did some work for JohnG who I believe is over the moon with the work he did on his Kb. It is indeed very useful to know of this guy as I believe his background was in ortofon cartridges previously, so I will certainly be looking to use his expertise to eek a little bit more out of my system.

Well done Jim for being brave enough to send your cartridge off and stray from the beaten path a little bit. It's often very rewarding when you have something unique, especially something as unique as a 2m black with an fgs stylus

enjoy it mate!
    It is always a risk as you know going into the unknown especially when your spending a bit of cash but this one is definitely one of my better choices. And yes you do end up with something rather special.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Excellent mate . You took a punt and it paid off

Do you know if he does this kind of work on lesser cartridges , or is it only the Black and above ?

Hi Brian,

Not sure if he does work on other cartridges beside Ortofon but it maybe well to ask him.There is nothing on the net about the 2M Black upgrade so I just asked if he could do anything and he said he had a "recipe" that has been done before.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Martin.

Great write up as always James.

I like that you got a second one to send off for the upgrade, that was a smart move. There's always that danger of losing what you had and not being able to get it back.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Great write up as always James.

I like that you got a second one to send off for the upgrade, that was a smart move. There's always that danger of losing what you had and not being able to get it back.
    Cheers Martin,

Yes I was a bit cautious so thought that would be the best measure.

I'm Robert.

Hi James,

Was at church so just back

Brilliant news ! and I commend you for having the balls and vision to look to see if the Fritz Gyger S could be posssible on the 2MB

As I reported here and as you know, I contemplated what to do next when my Cadenza Blacks tip finally wore out on me.

It would have been easy to follow the 'status quo' / 'done thing' and had it retipped / refurbed by Ortofon and I was pretty close to doing that.

BUT, thankfully I received an email form my mate Angus again advising and recommending that I seek to leave it in the capable hands of Kilian Bakker of Holistic Audio.

Angus was literally blown away by what he had done with his Ortofon Vienna and the effects of the FGS re-tip on it.

The more I thought about it the more it made sense.

At the time I also looked into the Frtiz Gyger S profile and knew it was a very top notch stylus profile indeed - the fact Ortofon use that type of profile in it's Replicant on all it's high end carts above the excellent Cadenza Black, including the Windfelds, Anna and its £8K Limited Edition Anniversary Century - speaks for itself really.

Again and as I fed back previously here - Cadenza B refurb by Ortofon = just shy £1K.

Hollistic Audio - Complete overhaul of Cadenza Black innards, damping, coils etc, plus Fritz Gyger S retip upgrade = less than half the above = NO brainer in my book and I wasnt wrong.

Having set up and nailed the sweet spot, I can say categorically that I have never ever heard replay from my system like it, ever - period.

The extraction of recorded information presented has been a revelation and jaw dropper - It's a cart / stylus profile that says "So you think you know your fave tracks ? - think again because this is the real / far nearer the actual recording"

From 2M Black to Quintet Black to Cadenza Black were subtle and definite upgrades. The Cadenza Black original Shibata to FGS profile is a big notch up in terms of true hifi-delity and what that means.

I could go on further but keeping things simple - The FGS profile is thin and long so it gets right in. Not only that, its contact area is large this results in it extracting untold info from the groove walls / recording in a way that other stylus's as good as they can be, simply cant. A spoon cannot scoop up as much as a spade

Angus told me that it has to be FGS for him from now on and I absolutley feel the same. When this one eventually goes, I'll go the same route again, no question.

Genius move James, to consider having it done on the 2MB, genius !

Welcome to the realms and revelation of 'true hi-fidelity' I'm well chuffed for you, but you deserve it for thinking outside of the usual and daring to not walk the same old 'safe' tried and tested road - bravo !

You thought it was so good before didnt you....... ?! ....
    Last edited by RobbieGong; 17-02-2019 at 15:18.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi Jamie, No it is easier to set up than the Shibata stylus,

The cost worked out at £300, so less than a replacement stylus!
    thats very reasonable jim,well done mate. if he does AT cartridges i might try that myself.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Hi James,

Was at church so just back

Brilliant news ! and I commend you for having the balls and vision to look to see if the Fritz Gyger S could be posssible on the 2MB

As I reported here and as you know, I contemplated what to do next when my Cadenza Blacks tip finally wore out on me.

It would have been easy to follow the 'status quo' / 'done thing' and had it retipped / refurbed by Ortofon and I was pretty close to doing that.

BUT, thankfully I received an email form my mate Angus again advising and recommending that I seek to leave it in the capable hands of Kilian Bakker of Holistic Audio.

Angus was literally blown away by what he had done with his Ortofon Vienna and the effects of the FGS re-tip on it.

The more I thought about it the more it made sense.

At the time I also looked into the Frtiz Gyger S profile and knew it was a very top notch stylus profile indeed - the fact Ortofon use that type of profile in it's Replicant on all it's high end carts above the excellent Cadenza Black, including the Windfelds, Anna and its £8K Limited Edition Anniversary Century - speaks for itself really.

Again and as I fed back previously here - Cadenza B refurb by Ortofon = just shy £1K.

Hollistic Audio - Complete overhaul of Cadenza Black innards, damping, coils etc, plus Fritz Gyger S retip upgrade = less than half the above = NO brainer in my book and I wasnt wrong.

Having set up and nailed the sweet spot, I can say categorically that I have never ever heard replay from my system like it, ever - period.

The extraction of recorded information presented has been a revelation and jaw dropper - It's a cart / stylus profile that says "So you think you know your fave tracks ? - think again because this is the real / far nearer the actual recording"

From 2M Black to Quintet Black to Cadenza Black were subtle and definite upgrades. The Cadenza Black original Shibata to FGS profile is a big notch up in terms of true hifi-delity and what that means.

I could go on further but keeping things simple - The FGS profile is thin and long so it gets right in. Not only that, its contact area is large this results in it extracting untold info from the groove walls / recording in a way that other stylus's as good as they can be, simply cant. A spoon cannot scoop up as much as a spade

Angus told me that it has to be FGS for him from now on and I absolutley feel the same. When this one eventually goes, I'll go the same route again, no question.

Genius move James, to consider having it done on the 2MB, genius !

Welcome to the realms and revelation of 'true hi-fidelity' I'm well chuffed for you, but you deserve it for thinking outside of the usual and daring to not walk the same old 'safe' tried and tested road - bravo !

You thought it was so good before didnt you....... ?! ....
    Hi Rob,

I have to thank you for the inspiration to do it. Although I know a few people on here know about Holistic Audio, it was your experience that got me thinking what if..... I did not imagine the 2M could be improved but as you have found with the FGS stylus it takes it to another level altogether. Kilians work and service is superb and he has the skill and ability to transform cartridges to something that is already good into something very special indeed.

I am going to enjoy this experience as I now have to rediscover my record collection which could take some time!!

And as you said Rob, I thought the 2M was good before but now......

I'm Robert.

Good on ya James,

As you already know, you're now in for a treat. In fact on some recordings you've long been familiar with you're going to be astonished
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Julian.

wonder how this would compare to an Ortofon 540 which has the fritz gyger....

I'm richard.

This is all very useful...... I have bronze 2m. Its got me wondering as I was thinking if the upgrade to black would be a good idea (considering all the set up aggravation) but if this is cheaper and easier to setup (RP3 - 2015). I actually like the bronze so this could be a win-win.

Someone put me off the idea please?!?

Regards Richard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast