+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2M Black Upgrade

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    I was referred to earlier in this thread about my experience with sending in a Cartridge to Holistic Audio.
    The cartridge in question was a Kontrapunkt b, the end result was extremely satisfying and after a couple of short auditions in two different systems 'not mine', I can't wait for the time when it gets put into permanent use on my own system.
    Each time the K'b has been heard by others, the enquiry that follows is how do I get one, or let me know who did it, I have a damaged K'b.
    My entry was a Broken Cantilever K'b bought for a reasonable outlay, that was sent onto Holistic Audio.
    I can't wait to Discover the undisclosed in my record collection.
    Maybe I might just find out what was really going on in the studio during the recording of 'Appetite for Destruction' with out relying on the hear say.
    John
    Did they put in a new ruby cantilever and FGS on a KPT B or a different cantilever + FGS ?

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    John
    Did they put in a new ruby cantilever and FGS on a KPT B or a different cantilever + FGS ?

Alan
    Beryllium cantilever. Not an FGS stylus either. IIRC

If you have a Kb with the cantilever intact. I absolutely have to say, if you don't have the Kb brought up to the same spec (apart from the coils as thats not possible) as the Vienna, you're possibly make missing out on the best possible rebuild of the cartridge. Possibly the best cartridge I've ever heard is the Vienna and as I have said before, they are unobtainable. This is the nearest you will get to one.

I say possible because I haven't heard John's. When I send mine off, it WILL be having the Vienna mods

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Beryllium cantilever. Not an FGS stylus either. IIRC
    Check that Oliver if you can cause if it wasnt an FGS then I'm curious as to what did go on ?
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Check that Oliver if you can cause if it wasnt an FGS then I'm curious as to what went on ?
    It was an Ogura tip I believe.

I'm Robert.

It was an Ogura tip I believe.
    Interesting, dont know anything about that stylus profile
    My System:
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Interesting, dont know anything about that stylus profile
    Neither did I. Wasn't one I'd heard of but John seems impressed. Angus said it was good too.

I'm Robert.

Neither did I. Wasn't one I'd heard of but John seems impressed. Angus said it was good too.
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

I'm John.

Cool

The K'b I sent to Kilian, was also destined to be rebuilt to Mimic a Vienna,
    using the rebuild that Phonomac and Kilian had discussed as a viable alternative to a Vienna.
    Kilian made a suggestion following my communication with him, about how he felt a exceptional end product could be had with a K'b, if a
    Ogura Beryllium Cantilever and Ogura Vital + SA Tip was used, with a
    improved damper material, the Damper Spec chosen was that of a Vienna.
    This Cartridge has been auditioned on Angus's (Phonomac) home system,
    The four people in the room heard the Vienna first, then the Ogura K'b.
    The look on the faces said it all, there was a hell of a lot on offer from the K'b, with about 20 minutes play time on it.
    Angus stated "I had cracked it ". I replied back " He had cracked it, as all in the room was his work and recommendations"
    With the growing army of AT-1010 owners, it is getting easier to allow others to experience the works.
    We need a Kiliaaaan Bakkkkker Carrrtridge Rebuuuild Baaake Ooooff

I'm James.

using the rebuild that Phonomac and Kilian had discussed as a viable alternative to a Vienna.
    Kilian made a suggestion following my communication with him, about how he felt a exceptional end product could be had with a K'b, if a
    The look on the faces said it all, there was a hell of a lot on offer from the K'b, with about 20 minutes play time on it.
    Angus stated "I had cracked it ". I replied back " He had cracked it, as all in the room was his work and recommendations"
    With the growing army of AT-1010 owners, it is getting easier to allow others to experience the works.
    Need to hear a Kilian Kb up against my 2M FGS to see what I maybe missing?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Angus was very positive about your cart John. I don't doubt it's level of performance. I suspect it is very good. If I can get another KB, I'd consider having both versions done.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast