+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My thoughts about Hifi

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I have striven all my life to be average, but had to settle for mediocre.
    Ha ha , a bit like me Joe

I was selling my debut Carbon last week and I was waffling on to the buyer about old Aiwa turntables and my odd collection of things. I am bang average with all my stuff I suspect , but happy enough with it , so I am in no hurry to hear some mind blowing setup ,because that little man in the back of my head would start mithering
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Russell.

This is a subject I have spent a lot of time thinking about. Audiophiles do love music. Or there would be no point to this madness at all. We may as well be motor heads or computer geeks.

But, while we do love music, and our goal is to make it sound better, we also love the gear. We part with a great deal our disposable income to assemble a system that brings us pleasure. Whether we are those that believe we are in pursuit of Fidelity, or just want a system that is more pleasing to our own ears, is another matter.

I figured out many years back that I didn’t want to set around listening to reference recordings to see just how real I can make it. Does it sound like I’m in the 3rd row or the 20th row? As it turns out I enjoy amplified music, for the most part, and while it’s true that a system that can pass the, “Live or Memorex”, test will generally sound good on most an kind of music, there’s more to it than that. My main goal these days is to build a stereo that can evoke emotion. To bring the emotion of the musician to me, to bring joy, or pump energy, or bring a tear, as required. To me, this is far more important than what row I’m in at the orchestra. And it’s a quality that’s hard to quantify. You can’t look at the specs of any piece of gear and tell whether it will evoke emotions or not.

I had the same stereo unchanged for 20 years, as it was doing its job. But, a house move, and the equipment getting old, caused me to build a new system. And while I may reach different levels of satisfaction, in my head I’ve always got plans on how to upgrade, how to improve my system, I am never without an upgrade path. But that’s more of the gear head in me than the music lover.

Russell

Gold Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If you were born between about 1958 and 1975 then I think we are all in the same cultural bracket. By 58 the worst effects of WW2 had worn off and then nothing much changed until the end of the 1970s. A handful of radio and TV channels, a handful of sports and games that we all watched and played. We all had the same references in common. Now everything has multiplied and skyrocketed in all directions I don't think the younger generations will have those strong common links that we have.
    Interesting point.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123