+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well Sorted Radford STA15 For Sale

I'm Clive.

Default Well Sorted Radford STA15 For Sale

Having bought The Beast (STA100) from Tom and established that I am very happy with its performance paired with my Tannoys I am now putting my Radford STA15 up for sale.
    Bought on eBay last summer, it was unmolested apart from the replacement of a main power supply capacitor about 30 years ago. The amp has been given a major restoration with a comprehensive recap, upgraded coupling capacitors to Mundorf ZN Film/Foil type, replacement silver plated Audio Note speaker binding posts, new stainless steel valve runners with sockets supplied by Radford Revival and the output impedance selector switches replaced with variable input potentiometers. Thus the output impedance is fixed at 8 ohms at present but this can be easily changed by a technician to 16 or 4 ohms as required. The casework is in good original condition for its age as shown in the pictures.
    I can supply the amp with a choice of EL34 output valves: new generic Chinese, lightly used Svetlana SED S Logo originals from St. Petersburg factory, nearly new Tesla originals or nearly new Mullard xf2 Blackburn 'OO' getter with welded plates. I also have several pairs of signal and splitter valves available if required.
    The amp owes me £1600 plus valves, so that is what I want for it with the Chinese valves. The SEDs would be an additional £100, the Teslas £200 and the Mullards £750. I know, desirable valves have become ridiculously expensive but I am asking for only half to two thirds of what was paid for them a few months ago.
    While the STA100 gives even better control this amp drives my 15" Tannoy Monitor Reds and Monitor Golds with ease and is a joy to listen to. Contrary to opinion some hold it is responsive to changes in signal and particularly power valves. The recapping and other work was carried out by David Coe at ADAudio and most of the pictures below were taken by him during the restoration work.
    Collection only from Lymington, Hampshire or meet up somewhere within an hours drive from there.

I'm David.

Great little amp! Always loved having it on test, it sounded so sweet with my Tannoys or Troels! Someone will be very lucky! GLWTS

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

One of the best amps I've ever heard, it won't hang around long at that price.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

I’m still a bit shocked that the 100 came up for sale- what an amp! The STA15 is lovely. I have an STA25 and it is truly superb. Good luck with the sale.
    Thorens TD 124 mkII, SME 3009 mkII unimproved, Transfiguration Spirit mk1. Arcam Delta 70.3.
    Radford Revival STA 25 and Rothwell Indus
    Tannoy Cheviot and RFC crossovers.
    RFC Mercury interconnects and Rhodium Twist speaker cable.

I'm Jack.

Brook (Speedracer) and I were priveliged to audition Clive's wonderful system a few month's ago. Apart from the delights of a variety of high end cartridges and arms adorning both decks, I was really impressed by the way this STA 15 drove his Tannoys. I have heard this combination before at Montesquieu's (albeit the STA25 and Canterburys) and that was equally effortless. Its a great match.
    As a High Efficiency type of guy I have no reason to suppose this amp wouldnt do the same for Flugels, LV's, Jantzens and similar HE speakers..I cant imagine a Radford with better provenance (except Tom's, of course..).

Jack NSM

I'm Clive.

Thanks Jack, Chris, Martin and David for your positive comments. A couple of expressions of interest but nothing firm yet.

I'm Charlie.

Lovely amp - my personal favourite amongst Arthur's family. I won't be selling my STA15/III. GLWTS
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Lovely amp - my personal favourite amongst Arthur's family. I won't be selling my STA15/III. GLWTS
    Thanks Charlie.
    Initial flurry of interest but still for sale. Also now listed on well known auction site to take advantage of their sell anything for £1 offer.

I'm David.

I would avoid PayPal and stick to cash or bank transfer. Too many PayPal scammers on E Bay!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I'm Clive.

Still available.
    Willing to consider shipping within UK if too far away for collection or meet up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast