+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Room Dynamics and the Effect of Hard Surfaces

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    Thanks John, i often give up listening if for example its summer, i have the windows open and theres too much noise polution. I dont want to make the entire room dead but im sure a little

Geoff i like the idea of making my own panels so ive ordered some rockwool (120 x 60 x 5cm) which i will try naked in various positions. If i like the results i will frame and cover them and probably save myself a small fortune in the process.

An accoustic panel / tile v bare wall round mine.....whos up for it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    It is a good idea to experiment with placement of acoustic panels, but you might find the 5cm (50mm) Rockwool to be too thin for the task. From what I have read, the 100mm Rockwool is the right stuff for the job. You could of course, double up on the 5cm stuff, but it is more difficult to make a panel that way. This is the stuff I used. https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Rock...ck%29/p/961938 You get four slabs in this pack.

Geoff

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    This is worth a read - if only to get an idea of how complex it all is:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-acoustics.75/

'How many singers do you know that like to sing outside where there are almost no reflections? Have you tried to sing yourself there? Fact is that some of these effects are totally non-intuitive. We think a reflection is a bad thing. But clearly no singer thinks that. I know it is hard to let go of these notions but let go we must'
    Interesting read that Martin, you can almost create problems that aren't really there and change things that are actually making your system more enjoyable to listen to. I'll soon find out I suppose.

My minimum goal is to reduce some of minor boom from the right channel, If I can also tighten-up/clarify (or whatever you want to call) the sound with some minor additions elsewhere around the room then great if not, no harm done. A good little experiment to undertake either way.
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    Thanks John, i often give up listening if for example its summer, i have the windows open and theres too much noise polution. I dont want to make the entire room dead but im sure a little

Geoff i like the idea of making my own panels so ive ordered some rockwool (120 x 60 x 5cm) which i will try naked in various positions. If i like the results i will frame and cover them and probably save myself a small fortune in the process.

An accoustic panel / tile v bare wall round mine.....whos up for it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I should mention that you need to be careful when handling the Rockwool. It is not something you want to be handling without gloves and you need to avoid breathing in the fibres. If you are experimenting with the placement you should try and find something to cover the "bare" panels on a temporary basis. When I made my panels I used a thin membrane type dust sheet to seal the panel and then a cotton outer cover for cosmetic purposes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123