+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Merrill 4 inch speaker unit wanted.

I'm Chris.

Default Merrill 4 inch speaker unit wanted.

I bought a pair of Dave Merrill's 4 inch units about a dozen years ago (probably the last ones he sold -he died soon afterwards -no connection!)
    They have an alloy 'bullet' centre that protrudes ...a speaker fell on it's face....bullet hits ground....busts the unit!
    So I either ditch the whole set up (home-made PAWO horn) or find a matching single unit.
    Hen's teeth I guess-as they are US product.
    Was planning to make a 'pyramid-shaped' (kind-of) speaker using them.....
    Off to search the web, but thought I'd ask.
    Dave Merrill?
    See Zigmahornet on 6 Moons.
    I used his 3 inch units to make a Zig from ...Polystyrene, which sound great, playing beside my Computer table.
    Chris.

I'm Geoff.

Have you considered looking for a pair of suitable alternative drivers? There are some good 4" units about.

Do you have a photo of the originals?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

What's the cone made of? I assume from your description it doesn't have a whizzer cone?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

Plastic, I think. The cone IS a whizzer, made of aluminium, just glued on to the back piece. the cone is attached to a tube-shaped 'liner'
    I'll try a photo.
    But, really....do I 'need' another....was supposed to be reducing stuff. Maybe it's a sign.
    There are improved' (i.e. with cast frame, not pressed) versions available, i've seen.
    thanks guys.
    Have stuck my £10 Leak Mini-sandwiches in bedroom instead-about to wire them up om top of my Art Nouveau wardrobe!
    Chris.

I'm Lawrence.

Slightly off axis then

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

I think that, as the whole weight of the cabinet landed on the whizzer, it bashed the rear of the unit. The cone rubs and was frozen in place initially. tried moving the whizzer about carefully, but it didn't change-or indeed, take OUT the whizzer, the cone still didn't sound right/was stiff.

I intended to try making a 'Metronome FE127 ' speaker, using the Merrill in place of a Fostex 127, but.

The Zigmahornet I made, though bigger because I had to use 1+1/2 inch polystyrene for rigidity, rather than 3/8th-1/2inch? ply, makes a lovely open, 3D sound.
    I know there are never enough speakers, but i HAVE had a few!
    Chris.

+ Reply to Thread