Closed Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullshitting

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Stop overrating your friends product.

Was what Richard said in his o/p. Amounts to the same thing I think.

I would agree with the sentiment except that I've seen many times people being what I would call 'over enthusiastic' about products they have heard or bought themselves even when they have zero connection to the person or company that made them. Fact: People are occasionally going to be over-enthusiastic if they like a product. I think that is something most of us can accept and live with.
    Guilty of being over enthusiastic.

The thing is, I found a guy on my doorstep, making stuff that battered my (then) dream amplifier.

It was amazing to me. Yes, I probably got a bit carried away and probably boring but hey, I was new to this and it really did amaze me.

What pissed me off about this post is whenever there is a speaker question, I can predict with regularity who will recommend Tannoys at every opportunity. Are they shilling Tannoys? Or are they simply relaying their absolute recommendation for a speaker solution.

There are multiple threads where I can demonstrate that the same people recommend the same gear but because they are "big brands" it's perfectly fine. Do this with a Trader or a cottage industry manufacturer and it's shilling.

What it is, is bullshit.

I'm Geoff.

This isn't a topic that can be taken very far without putting someone's nose out of joint, so if somebody has specific instances to address, it should be done via PM to admin/mods.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 15-02-2019 at 09:21.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Guilty of being over enthusiastic.

The thing is, I found a guy on my doorstep, making stuff that battered my (then) dream amplifier.

It was amazing to me. Yes, I probably got a bit carried away and probably boring but hey, I was new to this and it really did amaze me.

What pissed me off about this post is whenever there is a speaker question, I can predict with regularity who will recommend Tannoys at every opportunity. Are they shilling Tannoys? Or are they simply relaying their absolute recommendation for a speaker solution.

There are multiple threads where I can demonstrate that the same people recommend the same gear but because they are "big brands" it's perfectly fine. Do this with a Trader or a cottage industry manufacturer and it's shilling.

What it is, is bullshit.
    Does anyone know Mr Tannoy, or go over to his house for a listening session featuring his new speaker? No - in this example your point is flawed.

The OP did talk about friends and 'enthusiastic' reviewing, not bigging up companies like Rega, Tannoy etc.

I'm joe.

I'd say the problem is basically over-enthusiasm. On AoS the particular 'culprit' is cables (I guess this is because it's relatively easy to knock up a set of cables, whereas amplifiers and source components require more time, effort and components). One minute the xyz cable is the bees knees, the dogs bollocks, blows everything else out of the water etc etc, the next minute the abc cable becomes flavour of the month* and the xyz cable is completely forgotten.

I've reached the point where I'm happy with the sound of my two systems, cables included, so I'm not going to be jumping on any bandwagon, but if others think they need to improve some component/accessory then, as always, try before you buy is the golden rule.

* The only time I tried an AoS flavour of the month product, I was profoundly underwhelmed, but all it cost me was the return postage.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Does anyone know Mr Tannoy, or go over to his house for a listening session featuring his new speaker? No - in this example your point is flawed.

The OP did talk about friends and 'enthusiastic' reviewing, not bigging up companies like Rega, Tannoy etc.
    What if they did/do? ...... We wouldn't know it. The art of shilling is not disclosing your affiliation with the product manufacturer.

Hence your explanation is flawed.

I'm Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    What if they did/do? ...... We wouldn't know it. The art of shilling is not disclosing your affiliation with the product manufacturer.

Hence your explanation is flawed.
    No, in my opinion you are wrong. Tannoy speakers are universally known and generally user reviews are similar. It's not the same as an amp or speaker that 3 or 4 people have heard and might need some publicity.

But keep on protesting.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I'd say the problem is basically over-enthusiasm. On AoS the particular 'culprit' is cables (I guess this is because it's relatively easy to knock up a set of cables, whereas amplifiers and source components require more time, effort and components). One minute the xyz cable is the bees knees, the dogs bollocks, blows everything else out of the water etc etc, the next minute the abc cable becomes flavour of the month* and the xyz cable is completely forgotten.

I've reached the point where I'm happy with the sound of my two systems, cables included, so I'm not going to be jumping on any bandwagon, but if others think they need to improve some component/accessory then, as always, try before you buy is the golden rule.

* The only time I tried an AoS flavour of the month product, I was profoundly underwhelmed, but all it cost me was the return postage.
    Cables are within the capabilities of most people to make, yes I agree.

I think what you have here is a willingness to put on a "Try it" or loan scheme. That's always going to gain opinion/feedback because that's what it's for.

IF someone thinks that there is value in recommending them, then fair enough. Same for the opposite.

Over promotion is different to customer/purchaser comment IMO.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    No, in my opinion you are wrong. Tannoy speakers are universally known and generally user reviews are similar. It's not the same as an amp or speaker that 3 or 4 people have heard and might need some publicity.

But keep on protesting.
    Lol, you make me laugh Cyrus.

Honestly, so the number of people who use it is the defining factor? Shilling is limited to one person. It can be a group. BTW, Tannoy was just an example, there's more which are more suitable ones but there you go.

Ok. As you were.

I'm Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Good post.

The fact you can 'purchase' without any risk means you can look at these things objectively. Whereas if you bought a cable for £100 (which I've never done) with no offer of return, and you don't like it, chances are it wouldn't be sold on with an 100% honest appraisal - more likely a 'didnt suit my system' or 'upgrading' comment.
    This is how these things reach immortal status, not being able to admit it was just a bit sh1tty.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Through strong and consistant recommendations/review from people on here , not all linked, I have a couple of pieces of kit from 1 manufacturer in particular. I have a Firebottle Phono stage and mono blocks. They have increased my musical pleasure no end and I would never have heard of or considered them if it was not for people on the forum posting reviews etc.

I made my own choices when investing my money and have not regretted it at all. Am i a victim of over promoted gear , no i don't think so. As long as reviews etc are posted honestly and we recognise that than that is all that matters.

The more options we are made aware of the better, ar the end of the day nobody on here can force you to spend tour money, it's your choice and if something gives good vfm then why not talk about it?

Given my experience I would recommend those bits of kit to anybody , whether they take that up or not is down to them.

Never met Alan only exchanged pms very occasionally, so I put myself in a satisfied customer bracket not shilling mate bracket .

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast