Closed Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullshitting

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Richard, there is no such place as a perfect forum. Every now and then there will be things said that don't sit well with some. And so it is with any large gathering, online or otherwise. That said, AOS is, in my mind, as good as it gets. There is an overriding civility and decency here that is not found in any other audio forum that I know of. Trolls are chased out from under their bridges, insults and direct attacks are not tolerated, for the most part the focus is on helping and offering honest advice....I could go on. So if, occasionally, something is said that may be a bit offside, then hey, that comes with the territory. Walk away for an hour or so, chill, have a drink, and consider the big picture. How bad is it really? And does it really matter? We live in an age where people are so, so, easily offended, and by the slightest little things. In my mind, that is no way to live a life, as it leads to perpetual discontentment and unhappiness.

I sincerely hope you come to like it here.
    +1, Svend. I couldn't have said it better myself!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    Aw get a room!
    We need to be very careful that know one finds out were going to the audio jumble on Sunday mate .
    People might talk SSshhhhhhhh!!!
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Well said.

Added to which you've got people who deliberately want to stir it up, possibly due to mental health issues or possibly because they are just nasty pieces of work.

I don't really understand why anyone would want to play into their hands by making accusations, especially when they are so generalised that no-one can be sure exactly who or what they have in mind. At least with a specific allegation it can be investigated, without that it's just stirring the pot for no good reason and that pisses me off.
    Out of interest, how is saying someone has mental health issues, or are nasty pieces of work any different from the earlier “name calling” in this thread.

A good debate is always welcome from my point of view, but it needs to remain on the subject without finger pointing and name calling. If not, it may as well stay in the playground where that kind of behaviour belongs.

There are certain threads on this forum that I don’t read after a couple of pages, as I already know the content of the thread, and I am not interested in it.

As for hyped up products, that is a part of HiFi and a reason why HiFi manufacturers still exist. I have mistakingly bought HiFi product that was the best thing since sliced bread. I didn’t like it. I took it back. If you buy new, then you are within your rights to do so. I have also bought products blind, solely based on reviews of complete strangers, and I have been delighted. The big difference is that you may for this with HiFi magazines, and on the forums it’s generally free.

It is up to you to decide if you are happy with your system, or if you want to change something. If you want to change something, do your research and make your own decision. Only you can decide if you want to invest in something. Take grounding boxes for example. I think the price point of certain products is ridiculous, so my interest in them is very small. Cables can make a difference (as I am sure grounding boxes can) but it is all about integration and proper matching. The difference is generally small, but noticeable. Anybody who claims massive improvements small small tweaks goes on my “take advice with a pinch of salt” list.

At the end of the day, if you don’t like what you see on the telly, change channel or turn it off.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    We need to be very careful that know one finds out were going to the audio jumble on Sunday mate .

Just deny deny deny lol
    That always works for me.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Hi Kevin,

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Out of interest, how is saying someone has mental health issues, or are nasty pieces of work any different from the earlier “name calling” in this thread.

A good debate is always welcome from my point of view, but it needs to remain on the subject without finger pointing and name calling. If not, it may as well stay in the playground where that kind of behaviour belongs.
    In terms of your first point, because it's simply a general observation (although arguably unwise), and not aimed at one specific individual, unlike the previous name-calling you're referring to. However, I'm sure you'll agree that there are plenty of "nasty pieces of work" on forums, and also some folk who arguably display signs of mental health issues... You know *exactly* who I mean, as you've said so yourself!

In terms of your second point, I agree, but I'm afraid that posting a succession of daft smilies, as you did earlier, did nothing to further a good debate, which is why they were removed. You might've thought it was funny, which is fair enough, but it wasn't funny for others.

As for playground behaviour, we've just banned Cyrus, specifically for that and his stupid piss-take thread about sausages. If folk want to come here and behave like children, then they'll be treated as such! That also applies if their goal is simply to be an irritant, in which case they can go and do it somewhere else.

Quite frankly, some folk have got way too much to say for themselves (especially when it comes to forum politics), and somehow think they're entitled to 'do what they like' (usually behave like selfish, inconsiderate pricks), regardless of the consequences. Well NOT on here, as it won't be tolerated!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Kevin.

Nobody will know if it was funny or not, as they were deleted.
    There is no point having them if you can’t use them...
    Kevin

Indeed. Thing is though, what you consider as 'humorous' won't always be appreciated by others, and in fact could inflame matters, which is why on this occasion the similes concerned were removed, and indeed in line with anything else deemed as inappropriate content.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm M.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    I'm going to the jumble on Sunday perhaps we could meet and talk about Firebottle mono's☺

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I'm going to the jumble on Sunday perhaps we could meet and talk about Firebottle mono's☺
    Certainly Martin
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    As for playground behaviour, we've just banned Cyrus, specifically for that and his stupid piss-take thread about sausages. If folk want to come here and behave like children, then they'll be treated as such! That also applies if their goal is simply to be an irritant, in which case they can go and do it somewhere else.

Marco.
    Don’t tell me the sausage thread has been deleted too?
    Wine, whisky, real ale and cheese is fine, but sausages??? Bang(er) out of order?

I hope not, as there are some cracking sausage around and I feel it would go nicely with the other food related threads.
    Kevin

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast