Closed Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullshitting

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    I cannot see how it was personal - I suggested he was missing the point and likened the missed point to an object. However, I appreciate your stance - noted.
    Joe, you need to learn when to back off and give it a rest, as you appear to be one of these folk who always insists on having the last word!

You don't refer to someone as an "unserviceable dart". End of. That's derogatory, and completely unnecessary. I don't care how you seek to justify it. *I'm* the arbiter here of what's acceptable behaviour or not. So no more backchat, or you'll be out for a week.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I base my own morality of four principles which have become a deeply embedded obsession with me; honesty, sincerity, integrity and authenticity. If people comply with these they have to be good people; these restrict behaviour from being immoral.
    As Sam Goldwyn said: 'The most important thing is sincerity. If you can fake that, you got it made'.

Bigman80 Guest

Some people can't help themselves - not aimed at any one person BTW.
    The bacon sandwich example shows exactly what I'm talking about - no-one has been to the tea shop in question, no-one knows if Tom Kerridge has either, or if he has even commented. But once the name of someone revered in the field is mentioned, people start to open their wallets. What if Tom and I were friends and therefore shills for Mrs Miggins? She might not even know or participate in the practice but it's happening all the less.
    There's two ways to look at this example:

A) You are name dropping a famous celebrity to bring custom to a little known tea shop. You may be affiliated or operating alone or you may be in cahoots with the owner.

Or

B) You have been to the tea shop, after talking with your good friend Tom, and decided it was so good that you simply HAVE to shout it from the rooftops.

I would have absolutely no way of knowing which is the case. So what do I do when I read your statement about the cafe?

I either subscribe to the theory that the review can't be trusted because you're obviously a shill for the tearoom. I have absolutely no evidence to support this theory but there's little information on it and you seem overly excited about it. You live close to it and could possibly be on a share scheme that gave you an incentive to promote it.

Or

I read it, trust that you are genuinely impressed and think that it's somewhere that sounds interesting. This theory is highly likely and makes more sense. I have no reason to doubt that you went there. I plan to go there, try the tea room and makeup my my own mind and report back.

Which option you choose entirely depends on your mentality. The choice of A or B is made in accordance with your feelings towards the individual. If I thought you were a dishonest, bad person I'd pick A, if I thought you were genuine, I'd pick B.

What I'd never do, is go to the tea room EXPECTING it to be the best in the world. Id make up my own mind. If it was, I'd let everyone know I thought it was.

If it wasn't, I'd know that you and I have a different opinion of what makes a good bacon sandwich and understand that on the subject of tea rooms, it's unlikely that I'd follow your recommendation again.

Whilst this is a metaphorical scenario, the process is the same for HIFI.

I'm Chris.

I suspect most peoples verdict on the SQ of a system is based on the price point they are working at.

Someone with a £1000 system may find an amplifier that they describe as "the best I have ever heard", and it may well be. But someone with a £10000 system (for instance) may have improved significantly on that amp many years ago.

I am not suggesting that money is the only criteria involved but it does help to put comments in context.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    There's two ways to look at this example:

A) You are name dropping a famous celebrity to bring custom to a little known tea shop. You may be affiliated or operating alone or you may be in cahoots with the owner.

Or

B) You have been to the tea shop, after talking with your good friend Tom, and decided it was so good that you simply HAVE to shout it from the rooftops.

I would have absolutely no way of knowing which is the case. So what do I do when I read your statement about the cafe?

I either subscribe to the theory that the review can't be trusted because you're obviously a shill for the tearoom. I have absolutely no evidence to support this theory but there's little information on it and you seem overly excited about it. You live close to it and could possibly be on a share scheme that gave you an incentive to promote it.

Or

I read it, trust that you are genuinely impressed and think that it's somewhere that sounds interesting. This theory is highly likely and makes more sense. I have no reason to doubt that you went there. I plan to go there, try the tea room and makeup my my own mind and report back.

Which option you choose entirely depends on your mentality.

What I'd never do, is go to the tea room EXPECTING it to be the best in the world. Id make up my own mind. If it was, I'd let everyone know I thought it was.

If it wasn't, I'd know that you and I have a different opinion of what makes a good bacon sandwich and understand that on the subject of tea rooms, it's unlikely that I'd follow your recommendation again.

Whilst this is a metaphorical scenario, the process is the same for HIFI.
    Famous name = well respected and long standing member on a forum. It happens - you know it and I know it.

Another example - if you are driving home in the evening and the police pull you over and breath test you do you a) kick off and just protest too much or
    b) willingly blow into the meter, knowing you haven't had a beers since last Saturday

because in this thread you are doing a) at the moment. If there's nothing to hide, why bother? No-one else is....

Bigman80 Guest

Famous name = well respected and long standing member on a forum. It happens - you know it and I know it.

Another example - if you are driving home in the evening and the police pull you over and breath test you do you a) kick off and just protest too much or
    b) willingly blow into the meter, knowing you haven't had a beers since last Saturday

because in this thread you are doing a) at the moment. If there's nothing to hide, why bother? No-one else is....
    Oh, so now I'm a shill for challenging the subject and lack of examples being provided?

I'm Geoff.

Thread suspended. Marco may have something to say!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Ok, no more veiled (or not so veiled) accusations of shilling from anyone, unless you have conclusive proof of such, in which case contact me via PM. Otherwise, there should be no further discussion of that matter, and anyone I consider has been guilty of such will be out for a week, with no further warning.

Joe (Cyrus), if you've joined this forum, largely to be an irritant and 'poke' folk (or views) you dislike [which evidence so far appears to suggest], then you won't be here long. Examining your contributions to date reveals that the vast majority have been posts on 'controversial' threads, such as this and the Grounding Box one, not to mention the 'little disagreement' we had recently over car headlight bulbs.

Now this matter isn't up for debate, so don't bother replying trying to justify yourself, as I'm firm on my opinion of you here so far.

I suggest that if you want to change my opinion, and have desires to be here in future, and PROVE that I'm wrong about you, that you start some threads of your own, talking about your interests in hi-fi, music, or any other permitted subjects, instead of simply what at the moment is coming across as carefully-considered trolling, and stay away from 'controversial' threads for a while, or action will be taken to prevent you from carrying out what seems like an agenda.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    Through strong and consistant recommendations/review from people on here , not all linked, I have a couple of pieces of kit from 1 manufacturer in particular. I have a Firebottle Phono stage and mono blocks. They have increased my musical pleasure no end and I would never have heard of or considered them if it was not for people on the forum posting reviews etc.

I made my own choices when investing my money and have not regretted it at all. Am i a victim of over promoted gear , no i don't think so. As long as reviews etc are posted honestly and we recognise that than that is all that matters.

The more options we are made aware of the better, ar the end of the day nobody on here can force you to spend tour money, it's your choice and if something gives good vfm then why not talk about it?

Given my experience I would recommend those bits of kit to anybody , whether they take that up or not is down to them.

Never met Alan only exchanged pms very occasionally, so I put myself in a satisfied customer bracket not shilling mate bracket .

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Missed this earlier Andy,

I know I led you to the Firebottle gear and I'm glad you like what have. If you'd bought it and it didn't live up to my words, I'm sure you'd have sold it and told me so.

I recommended a cartridge to a guy here. An AT33PTG. When I met him in person, he told me it was shit. I was mortified. He then upgraded a few bits judiciously and suddenly his AT33PTG was superb. He'll confirm this tale, if he wishes.

The problem wasn't the recommended cartridge, it was the surrounding kit. Once he'd invested, the cartridge came to life. This was an important lessons to me. You can recommend something that works great in your system but it may not work at all in someone else's.

I'd be uneasy thinking that someone would buy or investigate a piece of kit that didn't do what I said it did. Now, I'm more selective about what I recommend. I also only write down EXACTLY what I think. Good or bad.

I'm James.

Not trying to inflame but just to reconcile two opposing viewpoints:

People sell for a variety of reasons, the only unequivocal motivation is a wish to transform the item into money since that is what they get in return. They might have got better stuff, have moved on, think they are selling crap and talking it up, be in a fix and need cash, be selling stuff they have inherited or have no interest in, so many reasons. Caveat emptor, and salesmanship does not necessarily imply dishonesty.

Luckily I have bought from more decent sellers than bad ones over the years, on here, the Wam, even eBay.

Edit: Tapatalk left me adrift of the intervening 15 or so posts, my point has been made already, apologies.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast