+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upgrade Ortofon OM20

I'm Alex.

Question Upgrade Ortofon OM20

Currently using Ortofon OM20 on Jelco SA-750E 10 inch tonearm. I'm wondering if I could get noticeable improvement in sound quality if I were to upgrade to a higher quality cartridge? The budget? Commensurable with the tonearm (i.e. don't want to buy the cart that would require purchasing higher quality tonearm).

Any recommendations highly appreciated
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Mike.

It all depends on your taste, a 2M Black or a VMS30 mk2 if you can find a good used one, or if you want something a bit more mellow a Nagaoka MP500, then there's MC carts to consider, really the best advice is try to listen to a few different carts if you can, if you can't and you're going on advice from here or elsewhere then try to spend as little as possible, cartridges like all other hifi once you get over a certain threshold it's very subjective and becomes more about personal taste rather than out and out sonic ability.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Adam.

Seconded on the 2M Black but the Goldring 2500 also works like a dream in the Jelco.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Robert.

The 2M Black in my experience is a stellar cart,

BUT and that's a big BUT, you'll only hear why it's often regarded as one of if not the best mm out there, only once set up optimally.

It is very fussy in that regard and a real PITA to set up and nail its sweet spot,

BUT once you have, you'll forget the pain basking in the glory of how good it is, with a big one of these on your face
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Charlie.

Robbie,

Some more option with varying budgets:

Denon 103 - perhaps with an ESCo paratrace upgrade - a brand new ESCo upgraded 103 with sapphire cantilever and paratrace is about £450-500 (you can purchase direct from ESCo)
    Hana SL
    Cheaper Ortofon SPU
    Benz Micro ACE

If you're like me, find a vintage Decca MkIV FFSS cartridge and send it to John Wright for a rebuild. You would need a RC4, C4E or SC4E to mount onto a standard 1/2 inch head shell.
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Robbie,

Denon 103 - perhaps with an ESCo paratrace upgrade - a brand new ESCo upgraded 103 with sapphire cantilever and paratrace is about £450-500 (you can purchase direct from ESCo)
    Hana SL
    Cheaper Ortofon SPU
    Benz Micro ACE

If you're like me, find a vintage Decca MkIV FFSS cartridge and send it to John Wright for a rebuild. You would need a RC4, C4E or SC4E to mount onto a standard 1/2 inch head shell.

Indeed, and then include the following which also get very good reviews - It's a mindfield...

Audio Technica eg: AT33E & AT33PT-GII
    Dynavector, eg: DV20x2 & 17D3
    Zyx R50
    but to name a few more.

If the OP likes the Ortofon 'sound' for want of a better word then the Quintet Black is a quality mc ! It was the cart I upgraded to after the 2M Black, same top notch delivery, a little more refined being mc.

This one here, new/unopened is an out and out bargain at the price https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORTOFON-M...frcectupt=true

https://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon...hono-Cartridge
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm keith.

I moved from an om10 to an om30 stylus (all are interchangeable) and it was a big improvement. I hear good things about the slightly more expensive om40 stylus, which I want to try but I understand you need well cleaned records to appreciate the improvement that stylus gives.

Depends if your happy to stick with the ortofon body and mm carts

I'm Ron.

I too moved "up" the Ortofon MM tree from FF15E to OM10 to 520 Mk2 and later 530 Mk2 (all essentially the same working bits). I found the 520 a significant improvement to the OM10 in that it tracked a little better and was distinctly more lively and involving - good fun if you like. The 530 I found much more natural and realistic, clear, and a great improvement in tracking ability. As much "fun" as the 520? Possibly not but definitely a better presentation of the music. Horses for courses and different rather than better, as has been pointed out. Not an expensive upgrade path either. As for the 540/OM40/2m Black? Well, I look forward to reaching that top rung some day.
    Ron

Main: Michell Tecnodec Rega RB600/Tecno bits, Ortofon 530MkII, Beard P100 phono, Naim Uniti Atom, ProAc D20R

Study: JBL L52 Classic, Bluesound Powernode 3, Technics SL-1210GR Denon 110, Project Tube Box S2 phono stage

Other stuff: Technics SL1200 Mk2, Dali Spektor 1, Pro-ject MAIA S3 etc.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Robbie,

Hana SL
    Cheaper Ortofon SPU
    Benz Micro ACE

Interesting thing happened last night. On a lark, I decided to grab my trusted old DL-103 and put it on my Jelco 750E arm. I was all of a sudden curious to give DL-103 a quick go, because I've never heard it on Jelco (only on Rega RB300).

Holy crap! DL-103 came to life on Jelco. I could not believe my ears. Amazing difference compared to how it sounded on RB300. Now, for the first time, I'm really hearing what the big fuss about DL-103 is.

Let me tell you -- this cart breathes fire! Yes, it is rather impolite, it doesn't possess the finest of manners, but man it rocks and boogies like no one else. It is unapologetic.

Now I'm curious about the ESCo paratrace upgrade. Never heard of it -- do you happen to have a link where I could learn more?

I'm also considering Zu. Not sure if that'll be a more beefed up DL-103, or whether the mods will transform the cart into something else?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread