+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Blocks

I'm Dominic.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    220 volts though? UK needs 230 and above.
    Works perfectly on 240 volts and upwards of that too, with the average reading saying 247 volts and once it reached 252 volts without any distress
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm bob.

All very well, but the OP asked about power blocks, not conditioners.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint H View Post
    Right, my first post on The Art of Sound so please be gentle. I want to try a power block in my system & having read a few posts on here before joining I see the Mark Grant blocks, cables etc get good reviews & you get a 30 day money back if not happy plus it's not daft money. Anyone got one or recommend another to try please. Price wise up to £250. Thanks people.
    I use a couple of these and they certainly made and improvement for me. The good bit is they are relatively cheap, and have had great reviews. Obviously a linear transformer maintaining a constant stable clean voltage is likely to be better, but then probably 10-20 times the price and that money might be better spent elsewhere on the system.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/tacima-...RoCXK0QAvD_BwE
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I use a couple of these and they certainly made and improvement for me. The good bit is they are relatively cheap, and have had great reviews. Obviously a linear transformer maintaining a constant stable clean voltage is likely to be better, but then probably 10-20 times the price and that money might be better spent elsewhere on the system.

Isn't that precisely what the transformer inside the equipment does already?
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm openingabottleofwine.

They look to be good quality products. I use an Olsen 6-way distribution strip for my 'home cinema'. It is fitted with a Schaffner filter block and a VDR, but I have modified ithe strip by removing the switch and neon indicator.
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post

Isn't that precisely what the transformer inside the equipment does already?
    Well yes and no is the correct answer I believe. My mono blocks have a choke(transformer) similar to this but it is part of the design, my understanding is that they are a simple single wound core with the sole purpose to act as a filter. I may have got this wrong but I am sure an electronics engineer on here can give a better explainantion.

So if the transformer is very high end and very well manufactured one may not be needed but it may be better and cheaper to use a choke.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Gary.

Best I’ve heard and use two myself is the Wireworld Matrix 2 block.
    Comes in at £120ish, bettered the Mark Grant for me.

Avoid the Tacama or any other “conditioning” blocks, they sit on the sound.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 26-02-2019 at 18:49.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Clint.

Thanks for the replies folks, I will look into the Wireworld Matrix (Thanks Gazjam) I will try a power block out on a money back if not satisfied & let you know how I get on. It's just an itch I want to scratch. I'm using a Wilko £9.99 block at the mo so it will be interesting to see what the resulting outcome is.

I'm Dominic.

Quote Originally Posted by earsopen View Post
    And why not? I naively thought that a forum was to pass on the little gems that sit below the radar, so I do apologise if I have offended.

Most of the power blocks being suggested in this thread are crap - been through a fair number myself. The Weiduca block is a real honey as it is a sensible price and more importantly, it does not compress the sound at all and you can have some additional fun watching the voltage readout as well. It replaced a £400 MS Audio 6 way block and it was no contest at all.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by earsopen View Post
    There is no rule that exact topics have to be strictly adhered to apart from sale threads.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12