+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Technics SL-10 - the LP Walkman

I'm Richie.

Default Technics SL-10 - the LP Walkman

I have had one of these for a few months now.

This story starts with the need to move the turntable/amp set-up from a fiddle-height up and onto a shelf, to avoid my 18 month old son's curiosity. My SL1210 was too deep for the shelf (as is the Pioneer SA-9500) and had to sit on a piece of acrylic. This wasn't ideal so I started looking at several other options. I'll stop there with the life story...

Apart from it's obvious small footprint, the SL10 also helps on the space front by hinging on itself, rather than needing another 5-10cms behind the table for the lid to operate. BOOM! that has to be worth a shot?

So I purchased one. It was purchased in Japan, apparently and brought back here in the 80s and not used since. The seller emailed me to say that they had blown it up, by plugging in without changing the voltage setting on the bottom. BOO! I went to have a look and took a punt. I then sent it down to a very nice dude called Tim (thanks for the recommendation, Beobloke!) and he fixed it for about half of what I knocked off the price. He also said that they almost did me a favour by blowing it up, as it would have needed to go to him anyway as it was all gummed up. Result! There was a bit of dicking around with power leads, too, but I solved that.

Tim also had some AMAZING B&O MS150 speakers that I will own at some point in my life. Anyway, back to the show:

On Tim's recommendation, I have been using an A/T AT85EP MM cartridge, which has no right to sound this good for £40. I have been using it through the phono stage of the Pioneer (which is pretty good) and recently rigged the Trilogy 906 up and now it really sounds good! Seems odd using a phono stage is 4 times the price I paid for the turntable new, but I had to do it...

For the last week or so, I have been using the immaculate 310MC that came with the SL10 into the Trilogy and it is even better! I enjoyed the cart on the SL1210, and this is not a million miles off. there are some areas where I feel it is not as good, but it thoroughly enjoyable and the ease of use makes listening to rekkids a real doddle. My wife is now a lot more confident in just getting up and chucking a plate on, rather than just lifting the needle or flipping one occasionally.

I love it. It is not the last word in audiophile awesomeness, but it takes away a shedload of the audiofilia nervosa and just let's you chuck on LP after LP and power through them. No worrying about set-up, or knob-fingering a £500 cartridge (except for me scratching the 310MC) - just put it in, press play, music. not for everyone, granted.

Also, it freed up a massive bunch of cash for an amp upgrade that I thought was a long way off happening. WOO!

There you go. Anyone else playing with these little things? Happy to hear other cool cart recommendations...

Richie.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I really like the SL10 and quite a few of the other linear trackers that Technics made, I thought about getting one but found a SLQ-L1 for £25 and bought it, another excellent deck though with a bigger footprint than the SL10, but after a thorough service and a few tweaks, it has been performing superbly.

Technics own cartridges are worth seeking out, the P22 and 205 mk3 or mk4.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

+ Reply to Thread