+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Ice Audio ( Jolida ) F360 Vacuum Tube Preamplifier Valve With SSX - Rare in the

I'm Robert.

Default Black Ice Audio ( Jolida ) F360 Vacuum Tube Preamplifier Valve With SSX - Rare in the

Black Ice Audio ( Jolida ) F360 Vacuum Tube Preamplifier Valve With SSX - Rare in the UK!

Listed at £750 under list price. U.K. 230v version.

Condition is brand new, still sealed in the original box.

A very special tube preamplifier designed by Jim Fosgate with tone and dimension controls - has the SSX Sound Expander built in. Plus rear rca outputs.

Remote volume control.

When the SSX is switched to bypass, this preamp creates a perfect square wave (and uses no negative feedback).

Jim Fosgate uses an upgrade to the classic Cascode circuit design and adds a mosfet which gives the musical performance of tubes but with the speed and detail of current solid state designs.

So the design is a HYBRID - valve and solid state mix to fix issues of buffering the signal, controlling high and low frequencies, focusing or expanding a 3D image and rear outputs for the option of creating an analog surround system (or a false ambience to expand what can be perceived as the actual location of the recording). Using the hybrid design allowed Jim to get to the perfect square wave (with the EQ/tone controls off).

The 360 offers both XLR and RCA inputs and outputs as well as outputs for a mono or stereo subwoofer.

It also has a full tape loop for external components or a legacy tape deck.

And for those who want to go even further there is a set of outputs for rear stereo speakers (volume setting can be set and then controlled via the main volume pot).

Gain is 10dB

Max output voltage: 13V RMS front channels, 8.5V RMS back and sub channels.

£1250

Last edited by Open Door; 14-02-2019 at 13:03.

I'm Robert.

I'm Lawrence.

Intriguing. I can see an EQ bypass but not the SSX bypass you mention, or are they both switched off by the same switch? Also what is the purpose of the diamond shaped display, and can it indicate degrees of dimension?

I'm Robert.

Hi Lawrence

Very good questions! �� Made me amend the original post.

See attached photos of the manual for a detailed explanation.

SSX is on permanently. EQ bypass cuts the tone controls - sorry for the confusion. Switch by the SSX is to cut the visuals as explained in the manual. When the SSX is at the 12pm position, it is in a ‘null’ state.

I have one running in my system so anyone is welcome to come and have a listen and see how the SSX works (and sounds ��).

I'm Lawrence.

I couldn't comment on this version, but when I had a surround system I used to play music in surround mode using rear speakers and Dolby PLII in music mode and it definitely enhanced the listening experience. Purists might be concerned but when I first heard it any such concerns quickly melted away.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Robert.

I'm julian.

Default Black Ice F360 Pre

Hi Robert,

Just watched the utube links, very interesting.
    Seems like an odd thing to have a 'new' one spare as you are already using one, please could you explain

kind regards,
    Joolz
    PS Audio Directstream DAC, modified Dennon DVD player, SP10, Trans Fi linear tracker, Stack audio streamer
    1980's Aloia 6L6 prototype, Cat's Whiskers Autum Leaves 300 B mono blocks, Definative Audio modded Rogue 88 Magmum 6550. Firebottle LDR battery pre. Classe 103, Herron VT2
    RFC Tannoy Cheviot's,Wilmslow Audio modified Chario Academy Millenium II's,Frankenstein DIY's, Oris Onken horns, Fostek full range drivers
    Ripnas etc

I'm Robert.

Hi Joolz

I ordered 2 in. Someone expressed interest in having one and when they arrived they had disappeared (no response). So I use one in stereo mode only (not tried the rear speaker option) to excellent results ��

The SSX works a treat. So I have had the 2nd one in it’s box sitting around doing nothing, so time I recoup some funds sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by joolz View Post
    Hi Robert,

Just watched the utube links, very interesting.
    Seems like an odd thing to have a 'new' one spare as you are already using one, please could you explain

kind regards,
    Joolz

I'm Robert.

Sorry, just to add, if someone came to hear the preamp (mine), they’d take the sealed unit away with them if they chose to buy it. I’m not selling my personal one �� It too good ��

I'm julian.

Is there a difference between your personal one and the sealed one - specs look like it has all options
    PS Audio Directstream DAC, modified Dennon DVD player, SP10, Trans Fi linear tracker, Stack audio streamer
    1980's Aloia 6L6 prototype, Cat's Whiskers Autum Leaves 300 B mono blocks, Definative Audio modded Rogue 88 Magmum 6550. Firebottle LDR battery pre. Classe 103, Herron VT2
    RFC Tannoy Cheviot's,Wilmslow Audio modified Chario Academy Millenium II's,Frankenstein DIY's, Oris Onken horns, Fostek full range drivers
    Ripnas etc

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast