+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 95 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigblog - The Revolving Door of HiFi Auditioning

I'm Geoff.

Well you'll be able to listen to some beefy Tannoys on the end of a Krell once (if ) Martin gets organised.
    "when common sense, logic and plausibility are excluded. All that remain are foolishness and lies"

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Well you'll be able to listen to some beefy Tannoys on the end of a Krell once (if ) Martin gets organised.
    Lol, yes but then I'll be kidnapping his JMlabs.

I'm Geoff.

"when common sense, logic and plausibility are excluded. All that remain are foolishness and lies"

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Never fancied these much. Surely a bit overpriced?

Btw I didnít find Krell and Tannoy a great combination. Overdamped .. detailed but missing the liveliness you get from a good PP valve amp. Surprisingly, killed the bass too. That on 15in Golds, HPDs might well cope better.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Never fancied these much. Surely a bit overpriced?
    Possibly, but the market is weird at the moment. Tannoy asking prices are all over the place and none are cheap!

The Super Golds are glorious sounding speakers by the way, better than the HPD Cheviots in my opinion. The driver is basically the same unit as in my Cheviot Mk.II's, but mine have the low resonance cone surrounds.

I'm Oliver.

Well, whatever I do will have to love being hooked up to the Krell because THAT amplifier is a keeper.

Might not be everyone's cup o tea but I'm loving it.

I'm Geoff.

Amplifier matching with Tannoys can be a funny business. For instance, the Monarchy Audio SM-70 was not ideal, but the SM-70 Pro worked beautifully. The little Leak Stereo 20 is also a surprisingly good match (lovely tonality) unless you want disco levels.

I've mentioned the Creek Destiny 2 many times and for good reason, it just sounds wonderful. My best mate is using one with his Chatsworth Golds and has sidelined his SM-70 Pro and EAR 861 in favour of the Creek.

I'm Martin.

The Pioneers have their strengths but they lack overall clarity compared to a top-end speaker. The JM Labs will demonstrate that assuming that they do not overpower the room in the bass - I don't think they will. Failing that there are some vintage JBLs that would top the Pioneers with ease. Also reckon Yamaha NS1000M would bury them.

Changing the amplification away from Krell/DCB1 is crazy talk. Not heard the Creek amp but IMO EAR amps are vastly overrated so not surprised an 861 was sidelined by it. The Monarchy is good but not in the same class as the Krell.

Turning the garage into a proper hi-fi room would be a good move and open up a lot of options long term but it isn't a necessary step before things could be improved. Those Tannoy Supergolds are worth about half what is being asked for them (maybe not at market rates but in reality).
    Current Lash Up:

*Sony SCD XB790QS* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *

'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

I'm jamie.

it’s a shame we all don’t live closer to each other, between us we all have some cracking gear to Audition .
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon KB with vienna upgrade
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers
    KARMA Interconnects & Tonearm Cable

I'm Brian.

Yup , would love to pay some of you guys a visit and have a listen to your systems . Only problem is it could make a big dent in the wallet
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server .
    DAC 3 French DAC
    Amplifier : Rega Brio R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Chord Epic Twin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 95 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast