+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 95 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 LastLast

Thread: Bigblog - The Revolving Door of HiFi Auditioning

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Not sure if it's hi rez or not tbh. Some are done are 16/44*.
    Wiuld have to check.
    They all sound good to me tho. The live ones do come across better, maybe the audience interaction
    Yes I agree, but the vinyl was a special moment. Really something special. If I can recreate that with digital, it would be an achievement
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > SIMaudio Moon LP5.3RS
    Digital: Orchard Audio PecanPi with JRiver
    Preamplifier: Neurochrome Differential Preamp
    Amplification: Neurochrome Modulus 686
    Speakers: Mordaunt Short Performance 880
    Cables: SPOTFIRE Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable

Price List For SPOTFIRE Cables here:https://bit.ly/2Uxiv3j

Alternative reading: http://www.audioaddictsforum.com

I'm Grant.

A rip off a vinyl maybe. I've had a lot of success with doing this
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA & JRIVER - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**Don't be such a big girl's blouse!**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Great bit of vinyl there Oli
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black FGS - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Great bit of vinyl there Oli
    It's the CD Jim. I wanted to see how a digital copy would compare with your LP.

It didn't.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > SIMaudio Moon LP5.3RS

I'm Oliver.

For the last few weeks, I have been struggling with Vinyl. There. I've said it out loud.

The trouble all started when i put the new system together. When i added the PecanPi, the Digital jeapt forward at a rate I hadn't even considered. It outdoes the vinyl in some areas and quite often I find myself not using the SP10 for days at a time.

Instead, I am using, and get frequently blown away by the PecanPi regularly. It is a horrible feeling and I hate it.

Iíve done endless comparisons and i just canít escape the fact that for 90% of material, the digital is flawless. Yes, it isnít as rich as the vinyl but when you get past that caveat, there isnít really anything the Pecan can't do, that the vinyl can, except for that rather larger soundstage the Analogue provides.

I canít escape the feeling that had i invested the same amount of cash (say £4k) in a digital front end, the results would be even better than I have from other of my existing front ends.

Suffice to say, im torn. Should i sell the whole vinyl front end and go for it with digital? I couldnít decide.

I decided that I needed to do something, anything really, to see whether I could rekindle the love for vinyl. If not, I will sell the lot.

I remembered the vinyl Jimbo brought round with him on a recent visit, and how when we listened to Rodrigo y Gabriel the world changed. It was an epic moment and one I felt in my guts. There was also another track, St James Infirmary on Satchmo Plays King Oliver.

I decided to go for the Satchmo. I searched around the internet and bagged an original pressing. However, when it arrived it certainly wasnít as described (as per usual) and a refund ensued. The seller didn't want it back surprisingly.

Iíve cleaned it 4 times and managed to make it playable to a degree, but it still sounds like itís on fire. However, between the crackles and pops, the SQ is quite superb.

Anyway, listening to the tracks on there, even with the crackles, is filling my mind with joy and whilst it hasnít rekindled my devotion to the format, I am remembering its merits and why i enjoy vinyl so much. One of those aspects is the history of the vinyl. The cover is full of interesting facts and bits about how they recorded the album. Itís got the history about how Louis Armstrong was involved. Loads of stuff.

That's when it hit me. Browsing for the same album in HiRes digital, the cover notes are not included. This highlighted something that I had not considered. Had I not bought the vinyl, i would never have seen all this great info!

Just like that, it was back. The LP hasn't left the turntable for 2 days and i havet stopped playing it at every opportunity.
    It was then that i thought that I may always need a vinyl replay system. I think Iíd miss it and no matter how good the digital can be, it wouldn't fill the void entirely.

Iím sure this matter isnít finished because whenever my brain gets a notion like this, I tend to only fend it off for so long. But for now, Iím just going to enjoy this LP

I'm Alan.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

I carried my albums around for 15 years with nothing to play them on. When I finally get my current tt it was a revelation. I jnow so many people who regretted getting rid of theirs. If you get rid its likely a 1 way trip. If you keep it then you have options. Obs some people have got rid and are fine with that, its a deeply personal thing I think. . I like the tactile thing with vinyl too and the notes etc. Good luck with your choice, not the 1st time you have said this I think.

Maybe you need a new project? Take your mind off it lol

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    I carried my albums around for 15 years with nothing to play them on. When I finally get my current tt it was a revelation. I jnow so many people who regretted getting rid of theirs. If you get rid its likely a 1 way trip. If you keep it then you have options. Obs some people have got rid and are fine with that, its a deeply personal thing I think. . I like the tactile thing with vinyl too and the notes etc. Good luck with your choice, not the 1st time you have said this I think.

Maybe you need a new project? Take your mind off it lol

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    To be honest, I don't think I've actually felt as happy with vinyl since I sold the BB phonostage.

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the LP5.3rs and I enjoy what it does but I think that my connection, via the phonostage, has left me a little disconnected in its absence.

Having an "off the shelf item" doesn't do anything for me and I think that's having a large effect.

I think you may be right as far as needing a project and I have another bigbottle board so I may test my theory.

I'm Chris.

I enjoy the differences between vinyl and digital. I also get more out of "taking a break" from one to the other. Yes, I'm digital 90% of the time these days but if you have the means to store it and the patience to set up the ancillaries I'd keep it.

The vinyl still has that "richness" that sometimes my ear truly craves. Nowhere near the frequency range or dynamics of the best digital but I don't believe its comparing like with like so I don't, to me its just a completely different format.

Granted, my modest systems will not compete with most here but I'm still enthused by the vinyl process and tangible interaction. If that has gone and you don't get a pleasurable audible contrast as I do, then perhaps it is time to reconsider. Especially if you want to spend the cash from equipment/vinyl sale on something else.

Also a lot of my "electronic" vinyl is simply not available in any other format so I'll always have a TT around as long as I listen to the same stuff.
    - Linn Sondek LP12 - Ittok III, Denon 304, Mose Power Supply - Ming Da MC 368-B - JJ KT88's, RCA 12au7's - Musical Paradise MP-D1 mkII - WE396a
    - Mark Travis Phono Stage - Gold Lion 12ax7's, Tung-Sol 6X4 - AD Audio SUT - Pioneer N-30K
    - Behringer DEQ 2496 - Quad 63's - REL T3 (sometimes)

- Audio Technica LP5 - AT440mlb - Musical Paradise MP 303 Class D - Jolida Glass FX III - Raytheon 5755 Yellow Print - Beresford Bushmaster II
    - EAR834p Clone - Ei 12ax7's, Sylvania 12au7 in V3 - Cocktail Audio/Novafidelity X12 - 15" Paper Drivers in Tannoy Cabs (lows) - Custom crossover into Tannoy HPD Monitors (highs) - REL T3

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    I enjoy the differences between vinyl and digital. I also get more out of "taking a break" from one to the other. Yes, I'm digital 90% of the time these days but if you have the means to store it and the patience to set up the ancillaries I'd keep it.

The vinyl still has that "richness" that sometimes my ear truly craves. Nowhere near the frequency range or dynamics of the best digital but I don't believe its comparing like with like so I don't, to me its just a completely different format.

Granted, my modest systems will not compete with most here but I'm still enthused by the vinyl process and tangible interaction. If that has gone and you don't get a pleasurable audible contrast as I do, then perhaps it is time to reconsider. Especially if you want to spend the cash from equipment/vinyl sale on something else.

Also a lot of my "electronic" vinyl is simply not available in any other format so I'll always have a TT around as long as I listen to the same stuff.
    Yes, I don't need to remove vinyl from my setup, I just had this notion that I didn't need it any longer, such is the quality of the sound I am getting.

However, I spoke to a very wise man last night who affirmed what I suspected, and that is off the shelf items or well worn paths, don't generally float my boat. I gave it a lot of thought and realised that it started when I sold the phonostage and even though I intended to build another, I didn't get round to it.

I will build another and see where that leaves me.

+ Reply to Thread