+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigblog - The Revolving Door of HiFi Auditioning

I'm Leo.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLO.com View Post
    Orchardaudio ,

Even though we sell competing devices , honesty has value.

PecanPI streamer is in fact at 399$. in the same configuration. Katana steamer with Isolator is at 370$. Both units will have a 22% tax when sent to EU

In any case , it is my belief that both Pecan and Katana are good units in their own way.

Meanwhile , please , take the time , enjoy the music with whatever DAC you have. This is why we are all here..right ?
    I agree. I was only quoting the price that was given by the person who supplied the Katana hardware for the test.
    Last edited by orchardaudio; 19-05-2019 at 11:38.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by orchardaudio View Post
    I agree. I was only quoting the price that was given by the person who supplied the Katana hardware for the test.
    I Should have been clearer. The total of $537 included both the THD and SQ boards (Optional extra) and an additional micro sim and power lead splitter.

Perhaps a bit confusing against the basic price that Allo charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Leo.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    I Should have been clearer. The total of $537 included both the THD and SQ boards (Optional extra) and an additional micro sim and power lead splitter.

Perhaps a bit confusing against the basic price that Allo charge.

So is it fair to say than that as tested the price is 370 + the two linear power supplies which are ~ $110. So total cost as tested was $480.

I'm Peter.

Yes just about. (See note below)The Katana is supplied with two switching power supplies. It was my choice to upgrade them to the Ifi linear power supplies but I guess unnecessary for most, unless your a bit of a perfectionist.

Note: the IFi power supplies were 110 (for two) and not priced in dollars $

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLO.com View Post
    I am not sure that I fallow the controversy (might been the removed posts) but I think both Pecan PI and Katana are good DACs.

The key difference is that Katana lets you reach higher SQ using more PSUs for those of you that are so inclined . As I said multiple 5V psu will increase the SQ ...but the highest increase in SQ comes from adding linear dual rails to the opamp stage.

Katana is rather targeted to DIY crowds that like to play and tinker with their toys.

For those of you that would rather have a easy solution , working from one PSU...not to worry, we heard you and we are working on it.
    Yup, at moment I cant be bothered with several psu's and lots of boards, and it not looking so good as say the digione in its ali case.
    The pecan-pie is of course much more plug n play in that regard. Still, both are not cheap, as the RPI's started off being, so some thought now has to go into a purchase. I will consider both for the future tho, but without knowing the differences, compared to the digione into a decent dac chip its always now a financial gamble
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm allo.

Next generation DAC not only targets great SQ but also lower price.

I'm Alan.

Would one of these include a SPDIF input?

I'm Oliver.

Sitting here trying a new cable I've found and thinking that I should compare the cable to the Spotfire soon. Then, album ends!

Totally forgot about the comparison I should be doing and just enjoyed the album.

Any albums that catch you out where time seems to just dissappear?

Also, surely the cable Must be good if I forgot all about it! lol

The Album is Acoustic by Bayside.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3+/Allo Boss 1.2/Isolator 1.3 & 2x LPSU's with Volumio & JRiver
    Amplification: Nelson Pass DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator & Krell KSA100 MK2 Amplifier
    Cables: SPOTFIRE Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A
    Price List For SPOTFIRE Cables here:https://bit.ly/2Uxiv3j

Alternative reading: http://www.audioaddictsforum.com

I'm Oliver.

A few weeks ago I discovered a very interesting cable. Stranded copper core with two silver plated solid cores of a slightly larger gauge.

I took a punt on it and I have to say, its surprised me at how well it performs.

At slightly under 10pm, I think it's a bargain cable with top class performance. Only losing out to the SPOTFIRE in mid-bass and LF texture and a bit of weight. I did plan on throwing some MSAudio RCA plugs on the end and see if they got any better ( I only stick some cheaper ends on these days, just to see if the cable is worth further investigation) and remembered I had these AECO plugs in my draw.

I haven't listened yet, but will do tomorrow. If the better plugs bring the weight, I'll have a real dilemma on my hands.

As the forum is suffering a lack of decent pictures at the minute () , I thought I'd put some on.

This could be the best budget cable about.

Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3+/Allo Boss 1.2/Isolator 1.3 & 2x LPSU's with Volumio & JRiver
    Amplification: Nelson Pass DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator & Krell KSA100 MK2 Amplifier
    Cables: SPOTFIRE Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A
    Price List For SPOTFIRE Cables here:https://bit.ly/2Uxiv3j

Alternative reading: http://www.audioaddictsforum.com

I'm Alan.

I should get mine plus MS Audio plugs in about 2 weeks time.
    Looking forward to trying them out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast