+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigblog - The Revolving Door of HiFi Auditioning

I'm Alan.

Good thing the yellow LED's have the same forward voltage drop as the specified red ones

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Marra View Post
    I hope all goes well with the shoulder Oliver.

Looking forward to watching the big bottle progress and hopefully at some point listening to one.
    Thanks Keith,

We'll have to get you over here for a listen.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3+/Allo Boss 1.2/Isolator 1.3 & 2x LPSU's with Volumio & JRiver
    Amplification: Nelson Pass DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator & Krell KSA100 MK2 Amplifier
    Cables: SPOTFIRE Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

Price List For SPOTFIRE Cables here:https://bit.ly/2Uxiv3j

Alternative reading: http://www.audioaddictsforum.com

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Good thing the yellow LED's have the same forward voltage drop as the specified red ones
    Indeed, luck more than judgment lol
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3+/Allo Boss 1.2/Isolator 1.3 & 2x LPSU's with Volumio & JRiver
    Amplification: Nelson Pass DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator & Krell KSA100 MK2 Amplifier

I'm Oliver.

As most will have seen, I have sold the Krell to a very lucky man, so what will be here next!?

Hopefully one of these (see pics) .

It's a Neurochrome Modulus 686 designed by Tom Christiansen in Canada.

I noticed Tom's designs pop up in diyaudio about 3 months ago, maybe more and read a lot of the information about his work. His 286 kit amplifier went over to the guys at ASR forum and performed well against the measurement settings they look for.

I also know of a set of 86 mono locks I. The UK and the owner of those has been threatening to let me have a listen but we just haven't managed to make it happen.

I decided that I just had to know for myself if the amp was any good.

Obviously, being me, I had to get the biggest one lol.

Tom's communication has been first class and with only one stumbling block in the way (speakon connectors) I am just checking I can change them before I spend on the amplifier.

I am aware most of you will not have heard of the amp but that's what makes it fun.

A hair under £2K Gets one to the UK, then you just have to build it lol. Its very modular so even those of us with rudimentary skills should be able to get one working.

Here's some pics of a built one to whet the appetite.

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Thanks Keith,

We'll have to get you over here for a listen.
    Thanks for the invite Oliver. I will hopefully be in a position to fund another project later in the year.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Hi Oliver

Sounds exciting , good luck with the amp quest and hope all goes well for you with the sawbones!

Cheers Andy
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

I'm Rob.

Exciting times Oliver.

I’ve had a look for ‘listening’ reviews but all I can see are threads on the build (which look far from ‘’rudimentary’’) and measurements, which 99.9999% have gone right over my head (which isn’t difficult).
    Have you based your decision on ‘measurements’ alone? I know those with an engineering/science background believe that all that matters but I believe (in fairies) there’s more to it than that.
    Well Tempered Versalex, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Trilogy 906, MCRU LDA Linear PSU, Naim ND5 XS 2 , Exposure 3010S2D, Roksan TR-5 speakers, Spotfire Interconnects/Spotfire Reference speaker cable

I'm Dennis.

Good layout, but that is becoming the normal one now, and good figures too, but they do not define everything.

I'm Edward.

Looks like a well thought out design. Is the circuitry based on current dumping as used in Quad amps?

ß
    Source: Tidal/Roon
    DAC: Metrum HEX, Chevron Paradox

Pre: LDR
    Amp: Radford Revival STA25 V,
    Sugden Masterclass 2018 spec
    Speakers: Tannoy Berkeley & Eaton, Kudos Cardea

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

I'm Wayne.

Have I understood this right Ollie, youíve bought the kit based on reviews/ listening impressions and specs? And sold the Krell to fund it?

You crazy mofo! Canít wait to see how this turns out

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast