+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 79 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigblog - The Revolving Door of HiFi Auditioning

I'm Oliver.

Default Bigblog - The Revolving Door of HiFi Auditioning

Hi all,

Decided that rather than keep updating numerous threads with bits and pieces, I'd instead make use of my trade account and start a thread chronicling my HiFi visitors and the stuff they bring.......

Might be the most boring read ever, but it'll keep me quiet populating it.

Read on!........... Or not, it's up to you.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage
    Digital: Orchard Audio PecanPi with JRiver
    Preamplifier: DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator or Neurochrome Differential Preamp
    Amplification: Neurochrome Modulus 686
    Cables: SPOTFIRE Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Mordaunt Short Performance 880

Price List For SPOTFIRE Cables here:https://bit.ly/2Uxiv3j

Alternative reading: http://www.audioaddictsforum.com

I'm Phil.

sounds a good idea , i am all ears
    1]bel canto pre 3 vbs /, /rotel cd/ bel canto fm1
    sonos, . tannoy eaton legacy 2]arcam a75 marantz sa8005 jolida modwright dac and RFC impulse ta`us , track audio stands

I'm Oliver.

Today saw Angus "Phonomac" of this forum visit. He's the SP10/AT1010/Ortofon Guru, who's opinion on such matter has been invaluable.

He brought with him a pair of Mission 752 speakers. I'd been wanting to try a pair of narrow floorstanding speakers for a while. I have some fairly hefty Pioneer CS-77A ATM and I'd become convinced they weren't as transparent as I'd initially thought. I'd also started to suspect s better soundstage could be had with the smaller speakers as the CS-77A are pretty large.

Angus brought his Mission to test this theory. The missions have a reputation of good transparency or little colouration, speed and being quite ruthless.

We did the install and first track was Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet. I immediately noticed that all the body had been removed. The chest cavity was removed and what was left was a sound bereft of realism. Not a great start.

As we listened on, imaging had improved, as had channel separation and the soundstage definitely seemed more 3D yet it was a smaller scale than I was used too.

On to the next track:

Walking in Memphis - Forgot the blokes name lol

This is a piano heavy track. When we listened to this via the Pioneers, Angus asked how I'd managed to shoe horn a grand piano into the front room. Unfortunately, through the missions, it sounded like a toy piano.

Again, the presentation was good but there was no Mass, no realism and even though imaging was good, it didn't have the cleanliness of leading edge on the bass that the CS-77A provide.

I decided on trying my ultimate test track. Albert King - The Very Thought Of You.

It lasted four bars before Angus told me to turn it off lol.

The Pioneers have demonstrated that despite their age (1971) the design and build quality really have stood the test of time. They outperformed the Missions easily. Yes, the soundstage is a little flatter and fuevyobthe size, separation suffers s little, BUT resolution, impact, dynamics, transients, soul, naturalism and everything else in the Audiophiles vocabulary was dominated by the Pioneers.

I am thoroughly happy that they have done so well and if I can get a bigger listening room, I think the Pioneer CS-77A will be more able to demonstrate their true ability.

Vintage at it's finest.

Thanks to Angus for the visit. It's appreciated.
    Last edited by Bigman80; 13-02-2019 at 21:05.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage
    Preamplifier: DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator or Neurochrome Differential Preamp

I'm Joe.

Mark Cohn.

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Mark Cohn.
    Ok? Am I googling that?
    Oh! Yes the Walking in Memphis guy.

Thanks

I'm Martin.

Pioneers win by a knockout early in the third round then? In fairness they would be twice the price in real terms I think. Surprised it was such a one-way fight though.
    Current Lash Up:

*Sony SCD XB790QS* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *

'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

I'm James.

Mate, I told you how good the Pioneers were. You just need a bigger room, sorry to mention it again!
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black FGS - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

Have you changed the Pioneer upper mid drivers Oliver? They look like they've got roll surrounds now.
    "when common sense, logic and plausibility are excluded. All that remain are foolishness and lies"

I'm Phil.

"Romeo and Juliet. I immediately noticed that all the body had been removed. The chest cavity was removed and what was left was a sound bereft of realism. Not a great start. "

oh i like that expressionism.... i can just visualise that removed chest cavity .. sounds like an episode of silent witness !
    1]bel canto pre 3 vbs /, /rotel cd/ bel canto fm1
    sonos, . tannoy eaton legacy 2]arcam a75 marantz sa8005 jolida modwright dac and RFC impulse ta`us , track audio stands

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Pioneers win by a knockout early in the third round then? In fairness they would be twice the price in real terms I think. Surprised it was such a one-way fight though.
    Me too. I'd convinced myself that the CS-77A were warm or coloured. In fact, it was the opposite. They were as neutral as the Mission but they had the mid-bass ability that outdid the Missions by a few lengths.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 79 1231151 ... LastLast