+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heybrook Quartet Help Please

I'm Sandro.

Default Heybrook Quartet Help Please

DSCF2439.jpgDSCF2438.jpg

Guest of the month
    I have a pair of Heybrook Quartet they are absolutely fantastic and extremely revealing speakers
    Loads of money have been spent on them by the previous owner
    From lamb wall padding cord silver cable Jensen capacitors and delund ribbon inductors

As said they are extrmley revealing a fantastic tool to find problems down the chain but I feel that the balance is very much on the hi frequency and maybe same changes need to be made to the external cross overs
    Could any one help me to find a drawing of the original cross overs please

I'm Geoff.

My first move would be to get rid of the Chord cable and try plain copper multi strand.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Sandro.

Thankyou Geoff

That is one of the thing I will do but I feel that it may need much more than just that
    Hence the schematics of the original cross over would be usefull

I'm Edward.

Maybe try Heybrook themselves? They may have details in their archives. I've often found manufacturers are happy to dig up details on their old products.

http://www.heybrook.co.uk/docs/contact.htm
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Rob.

Heybrook are still going! I thought that Gloucester based operation had closed down a couple of years ago.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Sandro.

Heard the same ...
    Messgae sent thanks Edward

I'm matt.

Agree with Geoff regarding silver cable. Also very important to make sure any stuffing is kept well away from ports and the bass driver.

Those capacitors are supposed to be a bit on the bright side, i'd replace them with something more neutral like Mundorf M-cap (white body, red writing) to see how that changes the balance. Saying that, if the original capacitors were electrolytic, then then you really should put electrolytics back in, because they have higher ESR and this will affect the transfer function of the crossover.

This is what Tony Gee says about the Jantzen Audio silver Z-cap -

Quote - "Sound: More transparent than the slightly less expensive Superior Z-Cap, very detailed. Sometimes too detailed for my liking which makes them less coherent than the Superior Z-Cap but this cn only be an issue in systems that are already on the bright side of neutral. They give some emphasis on the upper treble but are still more civilised than a Clarity Cap ESA for example; they have a so-called "high-end" flair. Objectively speaking they are better than the Superior Z-Cap but I prefer the Superior Z-Cap for it is more neutral presentation. I guess you could call the Jantzen Audio Silver Z-Cap the "audiophile" capacitor and the Jantzen Audio Superior Z-Cap the "musical" capacitor.

Verdict: 11-"

I'm Sandro.

Nice post Matt
    I am using the red Mundorf on a F5 build as By-pass
    Do you have a link to Tony Gee please ?

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    Nice post Matt
    I am using the red Mundorf on a F5 build as By-pass
    Do you have a link to Tony Gee please ?
    Humble Homemade Hifi

I've got a huge box of caps here and although I do agree with a lot of what Tony says about the caps i've tested, synergy is far more important than the marks out of ten, and obviously the correct type of cap is even more important - film or electrolytic.

EDIT:

The 2.2uf is most likely in series with the tweeter and will be the one that's would be causing the problems.

I'm Martin.

First shot the cable, when I've compared the chord cables they do tend to lean to the bright side with some just well too bright for my tastes. I wanted to go for solid core copper in these speakers originally but was put off by a friend I still think with the high quality crossover components the cable is the weak link and the cheapest, least detrimental change that can intact provide a more balanced sound than the apparent lean biasing of the silver plated chord stuff, maybe even solid silver or silver plated solid core copper.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast