+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Ethernet cables

  1. #11
    Join Date: Sep 2013

    Location: North Island New Zealand

    Posts: 1,133
    I'm Chris.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goraman View Post
    I am not saying it isn't grounded , I am just saying mylar can be used as a shield with no ground.
    However would require other material such as graphite added to be partially effective as a conductor, with then shielding as perhaps one flamboyant use

    Mylar on its own is a excellent electrical insulator, which unfortunately does not have properties as a electromagnetic shield https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_shielding

  2. #12
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: U.S.A. Neo-Socialist Kalifornski

    Posts: 2,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    However would require other material such as graphite added to be partially effective as a conductor, with then shielding as perhaps one flamboyant use

    Mylar on its own is a excellent electrical insulator, which unfortunately does not have properties as a electromagnetic shield https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_shielding
    Yes, but the mylar used for shielding has a thin aluminum alloy metalized layer that acts as a shield.
    I think we are debating semantics.
    Jeff :UBERTHREADKILLER

  3. #13
    Join Date: Dec 2017

    Location: Manchester

    Posts: 266
    I'm John.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Last one i got was a Duronic WE 10m Network Cable CAT6a Ethernet LAN Patch Cat 6 A RJ45 Wire Gigabit FTP Gold Headed Shielded - High Speed 600MHz .... nice quality... amazon supplied it.https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Hi Gran, would you recommend this cable to connect from router to a streamer?

    Cheers

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  4. #14
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Birmingham

    Posts: 4,433
    I'm James.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
    Hi Gran, would you recommend this cable to connect from router to a streamer?

    Cheers

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    I have used this cable in that same position and it is superb. Just bought another to connect Laptop to router.
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black FGS - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

  5. #15
    Join Date: Dec 2017

    Location: Manchester

    Posts: 266
    I'm John.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I have used this cable in that same position and it is superb. Just bought another to connect Laptop to router.
    Thanks Jimbo. I have been looking at the Chord and QED stuff but this is a fraction of the price so will give it a go.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  6. #16
    Join Date: May 2016

    Location: Much Wenlock

    Posts: 912
    I'm Gary.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goraman View Post
    Yes, but the mylar used for shielding has a thin aluminum alloy metalized layer that acts as a shield.
    I think we are debating semantics.
    I have been in a similar discussion, it's not semantics.

    Mylar is a film and non-conductive, Aluminium is a foil and conductive. So the shield is the aluminium and conductive, the Mylar film is acting as a supporting carrier.

    Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

    Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

  7. #17
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: U.S.A. Neo-Socialist Kalifornski

    Posts: 2,801

    Default

    Thank you for explaining that.
    Jeff :UBERTHREADKILLER

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •