+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: MC cartridge loading

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    just to confuse matters i was told for my paradise that the rough loading is about the value of the resistor minus 10%
    Because Paradise input impedance is around 2k8 ohm and in parallel with loading resistor 300R which gives 270.97 ohm

I'm jamie.

cool,thats for clearing that up,just knocking off 10% is maths i can understand lol
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Slav.

cool,thats for clearing that up,just knocking off 10% is maths i can understand lol
    10% is correct with your 300ohm and nearby but simple calculator like this:
    https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/too...ce-calculator/
    should give more accurate value

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    Because Paradise input impedance is around 2k8 ohm and in parallel with loading resistor 300R which gives 270.97 ohm
    Back calculating, with a 270R loading resistor, karma67 said he gets an effective value of 243R, so the intrinsic input impedance of the Paradise works out to be 2k43.

If it is 2k8 as quoted, with a loading resistor of 270R, the apparent load, as seen by the cartridge, will be 246R. That is, "about the value of the resistor minus 10%".

The exact value of loading resistors is not really that important (anything greater than 10x the cartridge coil impedance will do, allowing the transmission loss to be less than 1dB). The important thing is that the loading resistors for each channel ought to be with 5% of one another, so the channel balance is within 0.1dB.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
    I’ve considered it, but I like to run my turntable balanced (my VPI has balanced outs, and the Ayre has balanced inputs). I’ve yet to find a SUT that provides for fully balanced connections.
    You can use a transformer with an amplifier having balanced inputs if the transformer has a centre tap. If not, use a pair of 100k resistors wired between the secondary leads and take the junction of the two resistors to ground (pin 1 of the XLR input).
    Barry

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Back calculating, with a 270R loading resistor, karma67 said he gets an effective value of 243R, so the intrinsic input impedance of the Paradise works out to be 2k43.

If it is 2k8 as quoted, with a loading resistor of 270R, the apparent load, as seen by the cartridge, will be 246R.
    Somehow I thought he said is getting 270R with 300R resistor , but Paradise has impedance around 2k8 so 246R value with 270R resistor would be correct

I'm jamie.

Just to say I can clearly hear a difference between using a 270 loading resistor and a 249 but that may be down to the quality of the resistor
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    Somehow I thought he said is getting 270R with 300R resistor , but Paradise has impedance around 2k8 so 246R value with 270R resistor would be correct
    Well whatever the paradise is I’m using a 270 and a 249 and doing it by ear,I reckon im around 200-250 loading in reality.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Just to say I can clearly hear a difference between using a 270 loading resistor and a 249 but that may be down to the quality of the resistor
    Are the two resistors of the same type and made by the same manufacturer? If not, then I can believe there could be a perceived audible difference.
    Barry

I'm jamie.

the 270 is a charcroft naked foil,the other is a vishay so yes it could be down to resistor spec rather than loading.
    its not perceived either by the way
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345