+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MC cartridge loading

I'm David.

Default MC cartridge loading

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but I'm struggling to figure out what is the proper load setting for my AirTight PC-7. Mated with an Ayre p5xe phono pre, I have the options of 100, 1000 or 47k. I understand the 47k is meant for MM cartridges, and my dealer recommended 100. AirTight suggested something more in-between 100 and 800. I currently have it set to 1000 as I found the 100 setting to be a tad shrill on the top end (although the cartridge only has a few hours on it, so additional break-in might relax it a bit?).

The web, of course, is a wonderful but confusing place. I've read with a low output MC such as mine, the setting doesn't matter. I've read others suggest the 1000 setting will exhibit no difference between it and the 47k (I haven't compared this yet). Still others say your cables and gear can have an equal impact on your load settings, and therefore the 1000 setting may be the best/safest course.

I know many of you will say "go with what sounds best" but I'm curious as to whether I might be missing something given my settings are limited to 100 and 1000. I like my Ayre, but I wouldn't be against trading it in for something that offers more flexibility if additional load settings can truly offer an improvement in the sound quality.

I'm Tim.

I set my load, capacitance and gain by ear. That since an "exotic" cartridge can require the oddest values and as you implied, the rest of the phono chain will have an impact on the signal al the way up to the speakers. Trust your ears !
    - Cart Denon DL-102 in bakelite Ortofon SPU 'G' type headshell
    - TA SME 3009 'Improved' converted in heavy mass with detachable headshell
    - TT Thorens TD160 'E' totally tweaked driven by an 'Eagle & RoadRunner' PSU & tachometer combo
    - Matts top to bottom: leather, cork, felt & 12" vinyl
    - Pre-amp 'Modulis' Isem
    - Amp 'Exampli' Etalon 2x40W
    - Speakers 12" Leak 'Sandwich' first generation creatively recapped

I'm John.

Hi David, you can use custom loaded resistors to get different gain settings according to the manual, it can be viewed or downloaded from the Ayre website if you don't have one.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

What loading do Airtight recommend?
    Barry

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by tlscapital View Post
    I set my load, capacitance and gain by ear. That since an "exotic" cartridge can require the oddest values and as you implied, the rest of the phono chain will have an impact on the signal al the way up to the speakers. Trust your ears !
    Yeah, I think there's a lot of truth to this. I do enjoy the 1000 setting, but not having more options has me curious as to whether I'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    What loading do Airtight recommend?
    Anywhere between 100 and 800. He wasn't specific, and stated the end of the spectrums would change the sound from forward/cool to dark. I took this to mean the 100 setting would give a more focused sound, and the 800 setting would add more space/openness.

Quote Originally Posted by Virkon View Post
    Hi David, you can use custom loaded resistors to get different gain settings according to the manual, it can be viewed or downloaded from the Ayre website if you don't have one.
    How did I miss this?!? Thanks for pointing it out. Interesting enough, I called Ayre and they felt the phono worked best when it had the least resistance, which may be why I liked the 1000 setting more than the 100. I only wish I was handy enough to solder my own resistors like the manual suggests. Maybe I can convince my dealer to help me..

Anyways, thanks for all the responses.

I'm mark.

I use a phono Y connector

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-RCA-Pho...YFbg:rk:5:pf:0

with this to put a resistor in
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323675235...m=323675235245

I've got a Paradise in a compact case and drilling holes was a PITA, this solution with Y cable works, perhaps not the most elegant but I'm forever swapping carts.

There's online calculator to work out resistance values, you can use the 1k setting and add resistance with the plugs.

I'm David.

I knew I came to the right place. Thanks!

Bigman80 Guest

"There's online calculator to work out resistance values, you can use the 1k setting and add resistance with the plugs".

Got a link? This would be particularly useful at the minute.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm mark.

https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/resourc...eries-resistor

Lots out there.

For the OP, Hifi Collective will sell pairs of resistors and supply in individual bags if like me your colour vision isn't great.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    "There's online calculator to work out resistance values, you can use the 1k setting and add resistance with the plugs".

Got a link? This would be particularly useful at the minute.
    It's easy if you have a calculator;

Loading resistor value = Desired value/(1 - (desired value/1000)).

Thus in David's case, for example, if the desired value is 250 Ohms, the loading resistor placed in parallel with the head amp is

250/(1 - 250/1000) = 250/0.75 = 333 Ohm. (The nearest preferred value is 330Ohm)
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast