+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bringing back the good times

I'm Rick.

Cool Bringing back the good times

Hello everyone

So I worked for Arcam between 1987 and 1997 and had a great time in the industry.

I hold John Dawson in very high regard, a real gent and a wonderful businessman. Under John's leadership we sold some amazing products.

It was a lot of hard work, lots of miles across the UK. I know that the Shows and Exhibitions looked like a lot of fun but they were a serious amount of work.

I met some great people (some real tossers too)

I was with Arcam when we brought out the Alpha 3, 5 and 6 Amplifiers and I was really pleased with those especially the 5 and 6. I still have a 6 and it still sounds amazing.

Unfortunately the CD drive in the CD player failed and I can't find any way of fixing it so thankfully my good lady has a Sony CD player which runs through a separate DAC, we never listen to CD's now though. Not so much Vinyl despite having a rather nice Rega (The LP12 went when the kids were small enough to potentially cause problems)

I also have a Google Chromecast which is plugged via an optical cable in to a Delta 50 Black box. With Spotify on maximum quality it is nearly acceptable.

The Alpha 5 and 6 CD's were just brilliant - I know I'm biased but they really did deserve the accolades.

I worked on the Delta 290 and 290P amplifies as well as the 250 Transport and 270 CD players. The Delta 250 Transport and Delta 50 DAC were great but never got the press I felt that they deserved. Then again I was involved with the development.

Another killer product was the Delta 60 Amplifier. John Dawson and I finished the way it sounded together, it was brilliant working with him on a project like that. He even found his old Soldering Iron he used when originally working on the A60. I still have mine in use.

I had no input of the Tuner or Black Boxes. The NICAM Tuner was short lived but OMG it was brilliant.

For the last year or so when I was leaving the first of the AV products - the Xeta - were on the the production lines.

After all of those amazing successes my proudest moment was the Arcam 2+ speakers. They weren't fashionable or trendy and to be fair needed a bit of work with the positioning but set up properly they were untouchable in the price range.

So if anyone wants to know anything and I can give you a sensible answer fire away!

I'm Martin.

Welcome to the forum Rick.

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Martin.

Hi Rick, welcome to the forum. I remember the NICAM tuner well, a friend had one and it was always on my list of 'Things to buy when I have the money.' Of course by the time I had the money the A/V world had moved on...
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopants View Post
    Welcome to the forum Rick.
    Thank you very much!

I'm Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Hi Rick, welcome to the forum. I remember the NICAM tuner well, a friend had one and it was always on my list of 'Things to buy when I have the money.' Of course by the time I had the money the A/V world had moved on...
    Thank you. That was why the box had a short sales window. It was made for people with a TV that was too nice to change just because it didn't have NICAM.

VCR's (remember them) started to hit the stores with NICAM and that was a better replacement for a new TV

We always knew that it would be that way though. The thing was that it had a really good NICAM decoder but the audio side of things was down to all our experience and expertise that made it special.

I'm Rick.

Fankooo
    Last edited by RickPullar; 12-02-2019 at 11:13. Reason: no quote

I'm Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998_mk2 View Post
    Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Fankooo

+ Reply to Thread