+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone have experience with this headshell?

I'm Julian.

Default anyone have experience with this headshell?

heead.jpg

Evening all,

I am looking at getting one of the Audio Technica technihard headshells with only a single set of holes for cartridge mounting.

I have a variety of cartridges and am not the best at fiddling to align them in a conventional headshell with a sliding groove allowing backwards and forwards and rotational adjustment.

I am therefore ditching a rega based origin live RB250 on my Technics SL1015 in favour of a new arm and headshell combo. It must have a detachable headshell.

My question is has anyone used these or have some knowledge? I believe they have azimuth and can slide forwards and backwards, but am worried about horizontal tracking angle, which I have had to rotate the cartridge previously to get alignment. Do these types of headshells have this rotational adjustment, or if not would they only be able to work in something like an SME 3009 or M2 R? I was hoping to get away with a used Jelco 250 for my budget, but that has to use headshells with the groove in them.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Julian

head.jpghead2.jpg
    Last edited by fletchdirect; 10-02-2019 at 19:48.

I'm Peter.

Not quite as you say. I have a Denon 103 pro in this particular headshell. As you can see from your supplied photo, there are two sets of mounting points, plus many other adjustments to align the cartridge correctly.

I personally have had no issues with this headshell and it a decent bit of kit.

Hope this puts your mind at rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Julian.

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply. Which arm do you use with it?

I'm Peter.

Dynavector 507 Mk II.

I'm Peter.

Sorry, that was a bit of a naff response.

I have three headshells / three cartridges.

1. Arche' / AT33SE
    2. Dynavector / Benz Wood SE
    3. Technics / Denon 103 pro.

Combinations 1 &2 when I want refinement.
    Option three when I want music.

It horses for courses as they say..... Loads of money doesn't necessarily mean enjoyment.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

When you say you have difficulty in achieving correct alignment, what type of alignment protractor are you using? Or to be specific, does the alignment protractor match the geometry of the tone arm?

Tonearms are designed to have a geometry which follows one of three generally recognised minimal tracking error schemes: that of Stevenson, Baerwald or of Loefgren. Most Japanese arms are designed to follow Stevenson's geometry, whereas most modern European arms follow Baerwald.

Arms usually come complete with an alignment protractor appropriate to the geometry of the arm. However most aftermarket protractors usually come with markings corresponding to Baerwald. If you try to align your cartridge using a protractor with an arm which uses a different geometry, you will have to alter the horizontal angle, by 'slewing' the cartridge in the slotted fixing holes in the headshell; as you have found.

The Audio Technica headshell you show is a very good design and will work perfectly well with your Jelco arm, but you will have to use an alignment protractor appropriate to the Jelco arm geometry.

For the Jelco 250 arm, the two null-radii are at 59.1mm and 112.5mm.
    Barry

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    When you say you have difficulty in achieving correct alignment, what type of alignment protractor are you using? Or to be specific, does the alignment protractor match the geometry of the tone arm?

Tonearms are designed to have a geometry which follows one of three generally recognised minimal tracking error schemes: that of Stevenson, Baerwald or of Loefgren. Most Japanese arms are designed to follow Stevenson's geometry, whereas most modern European arms follow Baerwald.

Arms usually come complete with an alignment protractor appropriate to the geometry of the arm. However most aftermarket protractors usually come with markings corresponding to Baerwald. If you try to align your cartridge using a protractor with an arm which uses a different geometry, you will have to alter the horizontal angle, by 'slewing' the cartridge in the slotted fixing holes in the headshell; as you have found.

The Audio Technica headshell you show is a very good design and will work perfectly well with your Jelco arm, but you will have to use an alignment protractor appropriate to the Jelco arm geometry.
    Barry, I'm not too sure you are correct in your assumptions. Thats a bit of a guestimate about European / Jap arms!! Needing different alignment profiles.

I'm jamie.

yep i'd go along with what barry says, jap arms favour stevenson alignment,thats not to say you cant use any other though. i use uni-din just to add a forth lol
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Julian.

I am familiar with alignment and use of protractors - my issue is just that it takes me quite a time to fiddle with the cartridge in the headshell, to get it aligned against a protractor grid. I was attracted by this headshell, as it looked like it removed part of the pain by a couple of fixed holes, not a sliding groove / use of nuts etc.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Have look at the tonearm database on vinylengine.com.

Or read this: https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...earm-alignment.

I can assure you that not all tonearm manufacturers choose to use the same geometry.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast