+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to this - but started as a teenager..

I'm Frank.

Default New to this - but started as a teenager..

Was going to add something about my 'DM7' experiences (found here by Googling) but see I've got to do this bit.
    Bought HiFi originally in summer '71 - Audio T (off Oxford St)..Cambridge Audio P50 - KEF Cadenza's - Thorens TD150/II (the Ariston being delayed) SME 3009/HE -ADC10/II + a snazzy plinth made by Phil Swift.
    For a decade past have been uploading Classical LP rips to my blogs (don't ask why I bother...).
    Thanks to eBay have hoovered-up quite a bit of junk (sorry, 'HiFi') the past 15 years - some of which is featured in these parts.
    Frank

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Frank. Welcome to AOS.

Your 1971 system was a good selection. Many of the items are still favoured today. Not many folk using ADC 10E Mk.II cartridges though, but I have one.

If you have any interesting plans for your Hi-Fi, we'd like to hear about them.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Frank.

Hi Geoff.
    Quite an outlay though. 3x £30 for the record deck (plinth/cover £15). ADC recommended instead of V15/II. Would've bought Decca SC4E if I'd known.
    Did economise - hence no Spendor BC1 - about £50 more (+Purchase Tax - but not the KEF - with the 'B139' ABR).
    My plans re: HiFi are not to buy any more (dozen of this/dozen of that is enough - only a few are post 2000.).
    Bought before prices went OTT on eBay - now 5-10 times pre-2008 - and have enough cartridges/stylii to last 'a thousand years'...

I'm Lou.

Hi Fella

Welcome to Art of Sound

I'm Martin.

Summer of 71 , thats a great vintage, i came into this world. Welcome to the forum.

I'm Martin.

Hi Frank, welcome to the forum.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Frank.

Must slap my wrists as just bought a 2nd Shure M97 'Era IV'. Plausible excuse: had quite a few NOS stylii for that (probably pretty good for Quad/Leak valve units as a V15/III has insufficient 'poke').
    Buying 'good' HiFi then didn't seem to attract manufacturers who 'price-gouged' for well-heeled clientele - though Audio T did have the Amcron IC/DC 150 on dem - pretty expensive - maybe 3/4x a Cambridge P50.
    Amazing this oldie-gear mostly (but not my 'NOS' P50/P60) still works!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Frank,

Thanks for the memories: TD150; SME3009HE; ADC 10E (I still have a couple of Mk.IVs) and the Cambridge P50 (I still have mine).

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread