+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Celestion Rola 12" Special Edition speakers

I'm Edward.

Default FS: Celestion Rola 12" Special Edition speakers

Selling on behalf of Grant (struth).

Asking £150 ono (all monies go to Grant).

I borrowed these speakers (and another item) from Grant as I was intrigued as to how they sounded and the work that Grant had put into them. Aim was to on-sell them here in the SE given the higher chance of selling them. I must say they sound lovely. Great full range sound but what I found particularly appealing was the immense of amount of micro detail these speakers are able to transmit. The sound holds together very well and gives a nicely forward sound that is both non fatiguing and keeps drawing me in. Soundstage is wide, open and precise - obviously the amp driving the speakers need to be up for the job. Tried them with 4 different amps and in all cases the speakers do not wilt or give up. Obviously each amp will have a different characteristic. The Radford and Sugden were fantastic but also the Ferrograph F307 (the other item of Grant's which is also for sale) gives a nice open clean presentation.

Anyway Grant put these together a few years ago (lots of details in his aos blog) using 12 inch Rola Celestion full range drivers in Wharfedale Dovedale 3 cabs. Lots of work done on the cabs which look/feel very fresh (save for a small dent on rear corner) as well as port tuning (on the front so speakers are room friendly.

Demo/pick up from London N2. Original Dovedale boxes available so feel free to arrange your own courier pickup.

Lots of pics at this link and a few now follows.

Last edited by Edward; 09-02-2019 at 18:16. Reason: correcting cab name
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

Ah my old speakers. Nice these and look better in flesh. Must have taken a ding in transit.. Ps the cabs were Wharfedale Dovedale 3.
    The badges were made by Mark of this parish. And are quality.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Ah my old speakers. Nice these and look better in flesh. Must have taken a ding in transit.. Ps the cabs were Wharfedale Dovedale 3.
    The badges were made by Mark of this parish. And are quality.

Thanks for the error spotting Grant. Have corrected the post. Yes sadly I noticed the ding when unpacking.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Chris.

Nice.

Dimensions?
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

I'm Tony.

Quite fascinated by these (and I trust Grant’s taste).
    How do they compare to the sound of Mordaunt Short MS 400 I wonder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by technobear View Post
    Nice.

Dimensions?
    Oh sorry yes I should have said.

24in x 14in x 12in (H/W/D).

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    Quite fascinated by these (and I trust Grant’s taste).
    How do they compare to the sound of Mordaunt Short MS 400 I wonder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not heard MS400s from what I remember. But anyway feel free to drop by for a listen.

I'm Edward.

Bump for these incredible full range speakers put together by Grant (struth). Been playing them with the Coherence Class D amps - excellent.

Offers (to either me or Grant) taken. Demo and boxes available.

In the meantime here are some more pictures.

I'm Grant.

In situ back in day. Was driving with a Sony amp which was good too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

Bump for this full range glorious speaker.

Proceeds got to Grant (struth) and seeing it's his b'day go on and make an offer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast