+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A few hours at Oliver's

I'm Deleted.

As above, the Mission speakers will be very different but likely the least of the reasons will be the difference in width.
    Account Deleted

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    As above, the Mission speakers will be very different but likely the least of the reasons will be the difference in width.
    Just want to hear a more modern speaker in the system and see if I can hear any difference in soundstage. I total understand that the presentation will be different but speakers and speaker cables are the last bits I need to fettled. I may only require cables but I like to experiment.

I'm M.

I had a pair of 752s in the nineties,liked them a lot I regularly kick myself for selling them. By the way how is your recovery going Ollie?

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Mission 752. I want to see what effect a narrow speaker will have in my listening room. There is some suggestion I can improve the size of the soundstage with slimmer speakers rather than wide ones like the Pioneers. It's not in a mind of replacement, just experimentation. Macca's JMLabs will be here eventually too.
    Hi Oliver,

I noticed you are trying out various speakers, not sure how much you want to spend. Anyway I used to have the Wilson Benesch ARC's which I used with 300B's amps and they sounded extremely good, I was going to keep them but moved them to pay towards another upgrade which I am waiting to arrive. They are at http://www.lotushifi.co.uk/preloved/ at a very good price IMO. Richard at Lotus is very helpful so you may be able to get a loan to try them out, he is making hardly anything on what he gave me for them. These were the last pair made by WB and were replaced by the Vertex, the only difference to the ARC's being an in house produced tweeter and they increased the RRP to £7K, the ARC's last RRP was at £3.8K. I can vouch for these and they are mint.

The ARCs are very neutral and accurate, they give a great sound stage, do not be mislead by the fact that they are on their own stands, they produce an immense sound and are very accurate, and go surprisingly low, I measured them down to 30hz. They used to fill my lounge which is 22' by 13', but they also performed well in our study/spare room which is only 10' by 9'. As the two ports are downward facing they are not too fussy on placement, so they should work well in your room.

Anyway its just a thought. good luck.

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

Bigman80 Guest

Thanks for tip Adrian. I'm not 100% sold on the idea that there's much wrong with the pioneers. Whilst they are vintage (1971) and are not what most people would eye up as a Hi end speaker, I have heard very little that would make me upgrade. I've heard even less for under £1.5k.

When Macca visited, I hadn't quite isolated them as well as I could have. I've done a few tweaks and with the Chord epics, they calmed right down into a very acceptable balance.

Should my experiment with the Mission not yield any results I'd like to make permanent, I'll wait until I try Macca's JMLabs. If they do the trick, I'll probably be done.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Thanks for tip Adrian. I'm not 100% sold on the idea that there's much wrong with the pioneers. Whilst they are vintage (1971) and are not what most people would eye up as a Hi end speaker, I have heard very little that would make me upgrade. I've heard even less for under £1.5k.

When Macca visited, I hadn't quite isolated them as well as I could have. I've done a few tweaks and with the Chord epics, they calmed right down into a very acceptable balance.

Should my experiment with the Mission not yield any results I'd like to make permanent, I'll wait until I try Macca's JMLabs. If they do the trick, I'll probably be done.
    The elephant in the room is the room. Nothing wrong with the Pioneers Oli they sounded superb especially with the better speaker cable. You just need a bigger room so the whole system can breathe, but you know that anyway.
    No harm in trying smaller speakers though to see if they work better with the room.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm John.

Hi Ollie
    Maybe for a certain few, embracing the Digital Age is a age related thing, with the ears losing a little of their sensitivity.
    I was anti the stuff for many years in HiFi, but couldn't get enough of the technology in Photography, in the world of Photography nearly everybody is a Happy Snapper.
    As for today in HiFi, I am very close to pulling the trigger on a Digital System, expanding from the CD that has been in use for the past 2 years, to a recently added DAC with a CD. If all goes to plan,
    A Laptop > NUC > DAC will be my set up running a Software on the NUC.
    My only small concern with such a system, is how convenient it will be and that it may become a regular back ground music supply system, leading into lost time at enjoying intentional in front of the speakers listening sessions.
    The 752's smaller siblings are speakers I have recommended to individuals in the Past asking about HiFi and AV Speakers.
    They are a speaker produced with the 90's market in mind, so it will be interesting to see how you take to them.
    I was given a Pair to Loan when I unwrapped the system from storage in early 2017, I preferred my Tannoys from the same era.
    I had the 6 Sided Box Tannoy's on my WAD K5881, these still are memorable, and were replaced by the ESL 57's.
    I recall their imageing was appealing and bettered a few more expensive speakers that were brought to my home for Burning the Midnight Oil sessions.
    The skys the limit for trialing 90's speakers, there are quite a few out their.
    AE Acoustics, I recall were very good with the 5881's, but were designed to be with a amp like a Krell. A Sub with these might be awsome.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The elephant in the room is the room. Nothing wrong with the Pioneers Oli they sounded superb especially with the better speaker cable. You just need a bigger room so the whole system can breathe, but you know that anyway.
    No harm in trying smaller speakers though to see if they work better with the room.
    They are a real favourite of mine. There aren't many speakers I've heard that are as capable at delivering delicate treble as they are at moving the air on drum strikes and bass notes. They are a super speaker. Incredibly under rated probably due to needing a properly proportioned listening space.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    Hi Ollie
    Maybe for a certain few, embracing the Digital Age is a age related thing, with the ears losing a little of their sensitivity.
    I was anti the stuff for many years in HiFi, but couldn't get enough of the technology in Photography, in the world of Photography nearly everybody is a Happy Snapper.
    As for today in HiFi, I am very close to pulling the trigger on a Digital System, expanding from the CD that has been in use for the past 2 years, to a recently added DAC with a CD. If all goes to plan,
    A Laptop > NUC > DAC will be my set up running a Software on the NUC.
    My only small concern with such a system, is how convenient it will be and that it may become a regular back ground music supply system, leading into lost time at enjoying intentional in front of the speakers listening sessions.
    The 752's smaller siblings are speakers I have recommended to individuals in the Past asking about HiFi and AV Speakers.
    They are a speaker produced with the 90's market in mind, so it will be interesting to see how you take to them.
    I was given a Pair to Loan when I unwrapped the system from storage in early 2017, I preferred my Tannoys from the same era.
    I had the 6 Sided Box Tannoy's on my WAD K5881, these still are memorable, and were replaced by the ESL 57's.
    I recall their imageing was appealing and bettered a few more expensive speakers that were brought to my home for Burning the Midnight Oil sessions.
    The skys the limit for trialing 90's speakers, there are quite a few out their.
    AE Acoustics, I recall were very good with the 5881's, but were designed to be with a amp like a Krell. A Sub with these might be awsome.
    Hey John,

Digital is a tough market IMO. A lot of the stuff I've heard just didn't get it right. Yes, all the detail is there but there was always a glare or brittle sound. Soundstage was always condensed and worst of all it just sounded crap.

Admittedly, I haven't dabbled in the upper echelon of digital but why would you chase a medium that did nothing for you!

The Pi changed this. How they have got it so much nearer to a sound I can accept than some well known companies, i don't know. The price is just ridiculous. Would the pi prove better than modest vinyl systems? Absolutely. If I hadn't already gone a few leagues above the pi with my vinyl setup, I can tell you honestly, I wouldn't have done it now.

An isolation board and probably a more up to date DAC hat will offer better results, so that's where I'll head in the future.

The speaker thing isn't really too much of an issue for me. I am happy, just curious. I've had a fair amount of speakers here and the Pioneers have lasted for good reason. If I can improve the bass control a little more, it'll be a done deal. Speaker cable will help with this. I have a few candidates to try, all DIY but the big spend will come when I finally make my proper lengthed SPOTFIRE speaker cables.

I know where I'm headed, but no harm auditioning a few bits along the way.

I'm John.

Just to confirm on the speaker cable subject, I imported a pair of
    Mapleshade Clearview Double Helix Speaker Cable.
    No matter how much fair lore I gave the other cables I had around me, the Mapleshades were not being moved, they let the listener see into the soundstage, in a way I had never experienced before.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast