+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Superfi Called In Administrators

I'm Craig.

A sad day indeed, when Superfi first opened its doors in Nottingham, I remember their very first radio ad, on a station I later joined.
    Part of it, using a very famous Canadian voice over called Bill Mitchell said ‘Superfi...the place to buy...Hifi’.

I had made friends with quite a number of their employees over the years too.

Did you know that they are owned by Nottingham Hifi on Alfreton Rd in Nottingham?
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by the little audio company View Post
    Well I’ve managed two years now, so maybe I’m doing something right...
    congrats on that , some superb products there like heco and moon
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    Agreed.

This is true, I have seen it many times. One idiot once on a busy Saturday, tried to do this, he demanded I demo a Toshiba TV, I told him no. He said I am entitled you are selling for Toshiba, what if I buy it elsewhere. I said no, I sell for my employer. I refused despite his arrogance, and incresingly rude words. By that point I had my other sales colleagues behind me and and this scum left along with his mates, they slow clapped there departure.

I have no respect for those who use others, waste their time and go elsewhere and buy the same thing for a bit less. A workman is worth his wage and it is dishonourable to do this. Of course I speak of good people who work hard, lazy, arrogant shop owners and staff don't deserve to survive.
    Interesting points.

I'm currently pricing up a new bathroom and our local, independent bathroom showroom has been round, measured up and drawn up a design for us (there was a refundable charge) problem is I can get the bathroom suite, tiles, shower panels etc almost £1000 cheaper online.
    I've called him to explain the situation but I can't see him knocking 25% off and is it fair to expect him to?
    I really want to buy from the local guy but £1000 is a lot of money to lose on a principle.
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Interesting points.

I'm currently pricing up a new bathroom and our local, independent bathroom showroom has been round, measured up and drawn up a design for us (there was a refundable charge) problem is I can get the bathroom suite, tiles, shower panels etc almost £1000 cheaper online.
    I've called him to explain the situation but I can't see him knocking 25% off and is it fair to expect him to?
    I really want to buy from the local guy but £1000 is a lot of money to lose on a principle.
    If it is exactly the same products, not look-a-likes of possibly inferior quality, then I would explain and ask if they can offer a better price. I would not expect a price match. If you have paid for the design process and call out, I assume, then the bathroom supplier is getting paid for that service, thus not loosing out on that aspect. If they are not being paid, but you are using their design work then pay them for what that is worth, which would be fair.

The problem in audio retailing is there are no system designing charge, no charge for demo room use etc so the retailer often finds his/her/their facilities used, knowledge exploited and the item is bought elsewhere, so someone who only sells and posts benefits. That is not fair, to my mind.
    Regards Neil

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Interesting points.

I recently kitted out two home offices - mine and my wife's - with electrically-powered variable height desks, ergonomic chairs, desk, swing-arm laptop holders etc. Had been almost 20 years since I'd had a new office chair and it showed.

We spent over two hours at the place playing with chairs and desks and deciding exactly what we wanted and how we wanted it, trying stuff for comfort.

Could easily have saved 25 percent on top of the discount negotiated in the shop by going online - although it's quality branded stuff it's available on Amazon - not £1,000 more like £600-£700 - but the fact is, without the time spent trying out at a showroom full of expensive inventory, we wouldn't have had a clue what to buy, also the price included assembly and setup by people who knew all the quirks of this stuff and who could set it up to perfection. I had no qualms about paying the extra.

Your bathroom guy will have been figuring in the margin for the supplies as part of the overall profit for the job. It may not be worth his while doing it for significantly less - it's part of the overall offer. If you like his approach then consider the total price for the job rather than a job + supplies. If it's fair overall, then you should regard it as such and not salami-slice it. I would certainly ask for a discount but there's no way I would expect a price match.

I'm Gary.

The online prices are for identical products, same make etc.
    The prices from both are supply only fitting is extra.
    The local guy has already knocked 20% off his normal prices & he's called back saying all he can do is another 2%.
    Much as I'd like to use him I can't justify or afford to spend almost a grand more than I need to, equally I can't expect him to lose money on the deal.
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands

I'm Steve.

Yeah the cost difference is a difficult thing to ignore. Can't help feeling sorry for your local guy though - he must get this happening to him all the time.

My brother and me have opposing views on local buying v. distance buying - he gets windows and doors about 20% cheaper, But I have a seller I can see personally, and if there's a problem with faulty or missing items I can usually nip round and get replacements. I don't have to communicate by e-mail, then wait for the next "delivery slot" in my area. Tried it his way once, drove me mad, cost me all the money saved in lost time on the job, and inconvenienced the customer a fair bit too. Never again
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Yeah the cost difference is a difficult thing to ignore. Can't help feeling sorry for your local guy though - he must get this happening to him all the time.

(
    I feel bad for him too.

Really nice, helpful guy and I wish I could afford to say to hell with the extra thousand pounds, if it was a couple of hundred I would have.
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands

I'm Steve.

I'm a real soft-arse when it comes to things like this. We have this place in Preston called Clifton Bathrooms. I bought a shower screen once as part of a job I was doing, and at least once a month I get catalogues in the post and calls and texts from a very nice lady called Kerry, asking me to keep them in mind for future jobs. It's been three years now, and I still can't bring myself to tell her I've never fitted a bathroom in my life.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Ed.

great pity - i did loads of demos at Superfi in Camden town, London. I did buy a few things from them, although most was online.

But yes, there are online offers which can undercut the RRP. the problem is also for the industry , since if you don't audition something, more chance you will give it back.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234