+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quad (IAG) service experiences. Thumbs down from me . . .

I'm Alan.

Hi Chris, as a '57 owner I sympathise and am sorry to hear of your troubles.

I know these speakers inside out so am curious to know what causes the hum. You say the 'boards' were also changed, do you mean the high voltage (multiplier) boards?
    If there is any leak on the panels then the high voltage is pulled down a bit due to the very high impedances involved.
    When this happens you can get a small hum on the panel, noticeable when you put your ear to the speaker.

One of mine has this very slight hum, inaudible away from the speaker, but I know there is a slight leak. I fitted aftermarket high voltage boards that have a neon light in series with each panel. This flashes at very slow rate if there is leakage and flashes faster if the leak is greater, one of the lamps in my speakers flashes every 1.5 seconds.

If the speakers are perfect there should be NO hum.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Hi Chris, as a '57 owner I sympathise and am sorry to hear of your troubles.

I know these speakers inside out so am curious to know what causes the hum. You say the 'boards' were also changed, do you mean the high voltage (multiplier) boards?
    If there is any leak on the panels then the high voltage is pulled down a bit due to the very high impedances involved.
    When this happens you can get a small hum on the panel, noticeable when you put your ear to the speaker.

One of mine has this very slight hum, inaudible away from the speaker, but I know there is a slight leak. I fitted aftermarket high voltage boards that have a neon light in series with each panel. This flashes at very slow rate if there is leakage and flashes faster if the leak is greater, one of the lamps in my speakers flashes every 1.5 seconds.

If the speakers are perfect there should be NO hum.
    Hi Alan,

I believe the multiplier boards were indeed the ones changed (they look brand new anyway if they are the green ones visible from the rear).

The leak was not subtle, audible from my listening position around 10-12ft away and certainly interfering with quiet passages of music. When the buzzing came in it also unbalanced the speakers noticeably. It started every 10-15 seconds until it was almost permanent a few days later. It also got noticeably louder.

If the sound was only audible when that close to the speaker I could live with the issue most likely. However the other speaker is 100% dead silent as in have to check if its actually turned on quiet!

I just want both speakers to be this way, at least until I've got a few months of solid listening out of them, then occasional inaudible (from my listening position) leak is somewhat understandable given the fragility of the panels and the voltages involved.

I've had 3 pairs of 57's before in various states of condition. Some had dents and spill stains on the panels but all were a less leaky than this particular speaker. They had slight hum and occasional ticking but not audible from my listening position.

I certainly expect a freshly serviced pair to be perfect, at least for a while.

Haha, if I had your boards I would be watching them like a hawk!

I'm Andrew.

Hi Chris

Reading this has been lucky for me . I recently sent a pair of Quad ESL 57 speakers to A Quadthing Limited for a full refurbish which included the replacement of four Bass Panels , wiring tidy and Grill spray from Bronze to Black . I had planned (except for the colour change ) to get this done by Quad but was told quite clearly that they were currently to busy to accept any new repair work and I would have to wait six weeks.

A Quadthing were recommended to me by someone I knew on another forum who also uses these speakers and rather than wait I decided to get them done outside the Quad fold . Work took around four weeks (mainly due to Christmas Holidays falling in the middle) and was carried out to a very high standard . The speakers now sound as good as any I have heard and Andrew of A Quadthing assures me they will last for many years without any further attention. Total cost for all of this was £670 which in my view was good value (Quad were looking for nearer to £1000 and then additional) .

I was really anxious about using a company and service outside the original mfg company but I now find out that Quad do not make any of there new ESL 57 panels but get them from One Thing Audio who also use Andrew of A Quadthing for panels . I would highly recommend A Quadthing for any Quad ESL speakers , but for the ELS 57 units I would say you will get better service and as good if not better quality replacements from them .

I'm Pete.

I had my 57s refurbed by Andrew about 6 years ago, mine had the full service, new treble panels wiring etc with widgets and protection boards. They are still silent and sound sublime.
    I just realised “ silent and sound sublime” can’t be right but you know what l mean��
    Sorry you are stuck in quads hands now really so hopefully they will come good.
    Last edited by phoenixpete; 07-02-2019 at 22:18. Reason: More info
    Pete.

Main amp is an Electrocompaniat eci2 Sony qs930 cd, Sony tuner,Stan dac,modified x10d with little pinkie se and of course Quad esl57s fully serviced with much better legs and widgets. Sometimes swap to my kef reference 3s or Rogers pro9 Tls.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bencat View Post
    Hi Chris

Reading this has been lucky for me . I recently sent a pair of Quad ESL 57 speakers to A Quadthing Limited for a full refurbish which included the replacement of four Bass Panels , wiring tidy and Grill spray from Bronze to Black . I had planned (except for the colour change ) to get this done by Quad but was told quite clearly that they were currently to busy to accept any new repair work and I would have to wait six weeks.

A Quadthing were recommended to me by someone I knew on another forum who also uses these speakers and rather than wait I decided to get them done outside the Quad fold . Work took around four weeks (mainly due to Christmas Holidays falling in the middle) and was carried out to a very high standard . The speakers now sound as good as any I have heard and Andrew of A Quadthing assures me they will last for many years without any further attention. Total cost for all of this was £670 which in my view was good value (Quad were looking for nearer to £1000 and then additional) .

I was really anxious about using a company and service outside the original mfg company but I now find out that Quad do not make any of there new ESL 57 panels but get them from One Thing Audio who also use Andrew of A Quadthing for panels . I would highly recommend A Quadthing for any Quad ESL speakers , but for the ELS 57 units I would say you will get better service and as good if not better quality replacements from them .
    Thanks for the reply Andrew,

glad to hear there are good alternative service centers out there, maybe for the next one hopefully in about 10 years time or so!

I actually bought some freshly refurbished from One Thing Audio, although not directly. I just wanted this refurb to use all original parts and be built to exact Quad specifications but as you say there's not many of the old original panels around any more and they will most likely be using the latest ones. I've heard both and just about prefer the old ones, maybe because I'm used to them, but that's a different matter.

Glad and slightly envious it has worked out for you!

Cheers

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixpete View Post
    I had my 57s refurbed by Andrew about 6 years ago, mine had the full service, new treble panels wiring etc with widgets and protection boards. They are still silent and sound sublime.
    I just realised “ silent and sound sublime” can’t be right but you know what l mean��
    Sorry you are stuck in quads hands now really so hopefully they will come good.
    Wow, 6 years and still silent (between tracks!!).

That's all I want, I've paid through the nose for it and I'm still not there . . . oh well good things come to those etc etc . . .

Doubt I'll hear anything before next week though.

I see you've got a modded Beresford in your sig . . . thinking of getting myself one of his latest ones with mods pre done . . . lovely kit.

Bet your 57's sound lovely!

Thanks,

Chris

I'm Alex.

I'm no expert fixing ancient 57's, but my experience was that fixing one fault, another showed up. Had this with both of my pairs.

One of my 63's needs attention now.
    Spendorman

I'm Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post

That's all I want, I've paid through the nose for it and I'm still not there . . . oh well good things come to those etc etc . . .

I see you've got a modded Beresford in your sig . . . thinking of getting myself one of his latest ones with mods pre done . . . lovely kit.

Thanks,

Chris
    Hi Chris. just found the receipt for the service from aquadthing, dated 24/06/2010 so over 8 years now. They are silent between tracks and sounding awesome. I do leave them permanently powered up as they should be. I have had a lot of speakers over the years and sold some i wish i had kept. Can't see me parting with these unless they put me in a home, or a box. The Kef reference model 3 are my mains for the AV setup. 57's are obviously just in the hi/fi rig.

IMG_0393.JPG
    Pete.

Main amp is an Electrocompaniat eci2 Sony qs930 cd, Sony tuner,Stan dac,modified x10d with little pinkie se and of course Quad esl57s fully serviced with much better legs and widgets. Sometimes swap to my kef reference 3s or Rogers pro9 Tls.

I'm Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    I'm no expert fixing ancient 57's, but my experience was that fixing one fault, another showed up. Had this with both of my pairs.

One of my 63's needs attention now.
    Hi Alex.
    What i liked about aquad thing was he kept them and ran them on his own set up for a time to make sure everything was going to be ok. He found a problem with one of mine and changed something before i picked them up " can't remember what it was now" but they have been faultless since. He did tell me they should be checked every 10 years and given a quick service as a minimum.
    Pete.

I'm Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post

Thanks,

Chris
    The Beresford dac's are great, i seem to be a good customer of Stan's. Got a modded TC7520, moded Caimen and a moded Bushmaster i am using as a headphone amp.
    Pete.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast