+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attenuators v passive pre to reduce gain

I'm Philip.

Default Attenuators v passive pre to reduce gain

Hi,

possibly have a little too much gain with itargeted amp.

Now, i am only using it via amazon echo dot analogue out at present.
    But i assume cd and streamer (airport express) will be similar.

What is best, rothwell attenuators or tilbury passive pre to reduce gain before integrated?

When just using the echo dot output, this can obviously be reduced by turning down the volume on the echo.
    Is this better than setting at high volume and using attenuators/passive pre?

Thanks

I'm Philip.

Amplifier -
    Input impedence is 60k
    100mv - input level at 1kHz for rated power output.
    13mv - input level for 0dbw output both channels, with volume control at max.
    8v - maximum input before input overload at 1khz.

Tilbury -
    input impedance 10k.

Whatever that means!
    Last edited by philv; 16-01-2020 at 18:04.

I'm Mike.

Afraid I've no idea of your situation, but when trying to reduce the gain from the 3.4V output of my CDP into my pre. (with VU meters), I tried 15 dB, 10dB and eventually settled on a 6dB in-line Goldenjacks attenuators. The first two showed s.q. loss but not the last, which I have now been living with for nearly a year.

Attenuators CAN affect dynamics, but seemingly not in small doses. No idea about a passive pre., which is essentially a pot, I guess. 'Orses for courses, I guess, but at least you have control with a pot.

I'm Philip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Afraid I've no idea of your situation, but when trying to reduce the gain from the 3.4V output of my CDP into my pre. (with VU meters), I tried 15 dB, 10dB and eventually settled on a 6dB in-line Goldenjacks attenuators. The first two showed s.q. loss but not the last, which I have now been living with for nearly a year.

Attenuators CAN affect dynamics, but seemingly not in small doses. No idea about a passive pre., which is essentially a pot, I guess. 'Orses for courses, I guess, but at least you have control with a pot.
    The latest tilbury has a pot plus selectable fixed attenuation, so i guess everything to try in one box.
    but min is 10db.

I'm Philip.

Is the inout sensitive usually arrow d 200mv?
    So 100mv for my amp would benefit from 3db attenuation?
    Last edited by philv; 16-01-2020 at 18:29.

I'm Gary.

It's Tisbury unless your talking about the docks.....
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Philip.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    It's Tisbury unless your talking about the docks.....
    I hate my malfunctioning iPad that ignores half my key presses and then guesses at what i wanted to type.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by philv View Post
    I hate my malfunctioning iPad that ignores half my key presses and then guesses at what i wanted to type.
    For some people, touch screens just don't work properly.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by philv View Post
    Predictive Text.. Turn it off its a pain in the harris.. Go to setting > Keyboard > Predictive text OFF

I'm Mike.

The man who invented predictive text died last week. His funfair will be hello on sundial ! (Think about it !)

I guess it's the fixed attenuation which is -10dB at its lowest. I had a lot a trouble asking the pre. manufacturer (E.A.R.) and the technical people of pfm what I should be looking for. They were all wrong, suggesting -20 dB and above. Assuming the Tilsbury is a fair bit pricier than a used attenuator (around £15 to £20), it might be worth experimenting. Or borrow one, of course. The output and input sensitivity figures might be a guide but they weren't in my case.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast