+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CD Player/Caiman SEG

I'm John.

Default CD Player/Caiman SEG

Some advice or suggestions please on a good cd player or transport that works well with the Caiman SEG DAC.

I use a Marantz CD6006 and last week took delivery of a Beresford Caiman SEG DAC to replace my faulty Arcam rDAC. I love the sound of the Caiman but I'm having the same problem experienced by Michael in his 'Crackling noise' thread. This only happens when the DAC is connected to the Marantz CD6006.

Stan suggested I try the different sound modes but the noise persists in each setting. I also noticed a loud pop from the speakers when the CDP is turned off while it's connected to the dac and the volume is higher than 0. and worry that this could potentially damage the speakers.

In one of Michael's posts he included part of Marantz's response to his crackling problems/ They thought it was odd that the DAC did not mute the sound upon no input signal, suggesting, therefore a fault with the DAC. As the DAC works fine with the tuner, this doesn't seem credible.

I don't want to give up on this lovely sounding dac, so will consider alternative CD Player/Transports costing £500 or less if I can be sure the player works well and sounds good.

Thanks,

John
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Marantz CD6006/Cambridge 650T DAB
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp
    Atlas Element Integra Superior inter-connects
    Spendor SP1s(1988)/Van-Damme UP-LCOFC HiFi 4mm cable

I'm Dave.

You may get more success if you move this to the specific Beresford thread:-

https://theartofsound.net/forum/foru...resford-Banter

I'm Dave.

I also just upgraded my DAC to the latest SEG from Stan just before Christmas, I have a Denon DCD 520 which I use via the optical out into the DAC, to be honest I've not heard and pops ? I have my Pioneer Network Player connected to optical in, so I can swap between 1/2 and I did a test playing the same track on the CDP and FLAC from the Pioneer, I didn't notice a pop even switching while the track was playing on both.

Update

In the TV break I switched the Denon CDP on and connected to the SEG =No Pop volume on my amp was at the 9 o'clock position and loud enough any pop would frighten you. I tried it also just off 0 volume.

Playing a track, pressed the power button off =No Pop
    Switched the Denon CDP back on =No Pop
    Switched between the Pioneer Network Player and the Denon CDP =No Pop

No matter what combination of Power On/Of I can't reproduce the pop your hearing. Maybe its Marantz CDP and their output to the optical out is causing the problem?

Do you have any mates you could borrow another make of CDP off and do the same test?
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    Music Player Pioneer N30 Network Player
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speakers Q Acoustic Concept 40s
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Shane.

Have you tried visiting Audio Gold, John? Maybe they might have something decent going.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by superbike999 View Post
    You may get more success if you move this to the specific Beresford thread:-

https://theartofsound.net/forum/foru...resford-Banter
    A Mod will have to move it Dave.
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm John.

Thanks Dave. I do have a couple of other cdp's I will try - but one's the previous model Marantz and the other is a very old and flimsy feeling old Sony. I get the noise from both coaxial and optical outputs of the Marantz, so I guess it's a compatibility issue as referred to in Michael's post re same issue.
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp

I'm John.

I haven't Shane, and I hadn't thought of them though it's near me and I know the shop well, even going back to their first shop in Crouch End. It's not the place for a bargain though as they charge a lot understandably because of the location. I'll look at their webpage

I'm Dave.

Try both CDPs you have and shout back John
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Greg.

No pops here with a Marantz SA7001 with optical connection to Caiman SEG.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Not noticed any "noise/pops" from my newly purchased SEG/Dorado using optical from a Cambridge CXC
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks