+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CD Player/Caiman SEG

I'm Dave.

Looking like it points towards the Marantz and that model Johns got, be confirmed when he's had a chance to swap out the CDP for one of the others in his collection
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    Music Player Pioneer N30 Network Player
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speakers Q Acoustic Concept 40s
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm John.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I followed Dave's advice and connected my two other CDPs to the Caiman - a Marantz CD6003 and a Sony XE570. Interestingly the older model Marantz produced the same crackling noises when the try was opened and closed, but the Sony did not produce any cracking on loading the tray. This has assured me that the problem is with the Marantz, and that the Caiman is 'not guilty'. Thanks Dave.

This is both good news (keep the Caiman) and bad (need to replace the Marantz). The Sony plays well, but it's very old and I think, was a budget player when it came out. The sound I get from the Sony through the Caiman is acceptable, but a little on the bright side of shrill! and not the rich, full sound I get with the Marantz's

It's interesting that Greg's Marantz doesn't produce the cracking noise. I've email Marantz this morning asking for advice, but don't expect a solution given their response to Michael on the same issue.

The obvious solution is to go for the Cambridge CXC transport, but will have to try to sell the Marantz to cover some of the outlay. Would you recommend this pairing Andy? In the meantime I might look for a vintage/cheap 2nd hand deck before splashing out.
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Marantz CD6006/Cambridge 650T DAB
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp
    Atlas Element Integra Superior inter-connects
    Spendor SP1s(1988)/Van-Damme UP-LCOFC HiFi 4mm cable

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Definitely I would John, whilst my set up does not major on digital I do find the CXC a surprisingly good transport for its fairly low cost.

I am aware that with some its a bit of a "marmite" machine though, some swear by it others not so keen. So best advise may be to try and get a listen to one first.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Jo.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNB View Post
    Thanks for all your suggestions.

The obvious solution is to go for the Cambridge CXC transport, but will have to try to sell the Marantz to cover some of the outlay. Would you recommend this pairing Andy? In the meantime I might look for a vintage/cheap 2nd hand deck before splashing out.
    John, I use an SEG fed by a CXC Transport and get good results from the pairing. As it happens the CXC took the place of a Marantz CD6005, which now does service in a second setup. At the moment the CXC is £250 new at Richer Sounds. I think I'd struggle to spend £250 elsewhere and match that unit's performance. If you did go down this route & found that you didn't like the CXC transport, they seem to have have a decent resale potential.

I'm John.

£250 for a CXC is tempting John, and I may succumb! Trying out 3 different cdps this afternoon though has helped me appreciate the point made by several contributors about the sound of cdps/dacs being more a matter of taste than purely sound or build quality. Some praise the sound of Sony over, say Marantz. Comparing my very old Sony with a modern Marantz today has raised my awareness of issues of different 'tone' and 'presentation' etc. So, as usual, there's more to this than meets the eye - or ear in this case!
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp

I'm Dave.

I play 99% FLAC through my Pioneer Network Player to the SEG, and when doing a back to back with the same track via the Denon CDP I cant hear any difference, well not on the 1 track I tried which was a female vocal of Amazing Grace.Your welcome to listen to mine if your in Cornwall.

Just seen your in North London bit far for a back to back test.
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm John.

Thanks for the offer Dave and, as much as I like Cornwall, it's a bit of a trek!!

If your Denon sounds as good as a FLAC file then that's high praise. The model currently available (Incredibly cheap at £179) is the DCD 520AE. Is this the one you have? Richer Sounds no longer stock it though, which is a shame as I could have taken the Caiman in to test with the Denon.

I'm Dave.

Yes thats the model DCD 520AE I have, very pleased with mine
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

I'm Kevin.

Buy a CXC from Richer Sounds, and if you don’t like it take it back.
    I did that with a CD63KI CD and amp. Really didn’t like the voicing of it.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm John.

I might do that Kevin, but just heard from the person who made the original post on noise problems with the Caiman/Marantz combination. Michael replaced the Marantz with a CXC and all was well for awhile, then he got the same noises. What a conundrum! A lovely dac that produces nasty noises as well as beautiful music. Still can't decide wether to return mine (still within the returns period), or try to find a player that doesn't produce unwanted noise like Dave and his Denon.
    I'm a bit shocked by these problems as hifi gear, in my experience, is usually very reliable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast