+ Reply to Thread

Thread: phono stage for a Planar 2/ Rega Carbon

I'm Nuno.

Default phono stage for a Planar 2/ Rega Carbon

I have a Rega Fono MM MK III. If I upgrade for a better one, would I get any sound improvement ? I want to keep the Rega Carbon, is just fine!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Then stay as you are!

The Carbon is fine for basic use and has a nicely polished conical diamond on it's tip. the biggest improvement would be to get an elliptical stylus for it - I have a Thakker EPO-E made I gather by jelco and this opens out the highs brilliantly while keeping the bass and lower mids as before. I think LP Gear have an official AT-made elliptical too for the donor AT91/3600 body.

Nowt wrong with any generation Rega Fono stage. use the hierarchy ideals here. A deck, then arm and finally cartridge upgrade will all be reproduced properly by the Fono ime.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Kevin.

Agreed. If you are happy, why change?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Nuno.

It was my dealer that suggested me the Fono MM. First I had the idea of buying the Rega Mini A2D, but my dealer told me that even with the Carbon, the Fono would be better.Was he right, or with the Carbon I would get the same results with the Mini A2D?

I'm Kevin.

You can pretty much always get better. The Carbon is entry level, so it can be improved upon.
    It just depends how much you are willing to part with to make it better.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The Fono in any incarnation should be better I feel. It's apparently better than things like the Schiit Mani too and won't have the occasional hum issues a Mani seems to have when used with Rega decks/arms. It'll work just fine with a Carbon and open out more should the deck or stylus be upgraded later.

The Carbon is surprisingly good in my experience and everyone should have one of these (or an AT95E) in their spares drawer for emergency use if nothing else. It has a nicely finished plain conical tip, so won't carve your records up and the sound to the midrange is very good. What it lacks is the extra delicacy and refinement an elliptical tip gives, but it's surprisingly close to an AT95E when compared directly as I've done, the body internals not so different I believe. The styli I mentioned above and the Thakker in particular which I have here (I discovered it while looking for a Dual stylus - DN 251E), increases high frequency clarity a goodly bit and I think this may actually slightly better my several year old but little used AT95E cartridge (AT have recently tweaked the 95E stylus around the 95EX though I gather).

Rega's wall bracket still remains the best I've heard these decks 'sound' in the bass, although current models are less sensitive to this I feel.

I'm confusing you now. Get the Fono and when new stylus time comes, have a look at the Thakker EPO-E one. It even comes with a tight fitting flip-down guard too
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nuno.

Ok, thanks for replies.This little deck(P2) is just great, much better build than another similar decks.
    Last edited by nbaptista; 02-02-2019 at 19:52.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by nbaptista View Post
    It was my dealer that suggested me the Fono MM. First I had the idea of buying the Rega Mini A2D, but my dealer told me that even with the Carbon, the Fono would be better.Was he right, or with the Carbon I would get the same results with the Mini A2D?
    It will be better for the dealer, money in his pocket.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by nbaptista View Post
    Ive had the A2D an its a great value phono but its best trick is the digital output ( I rip LP's so need such a device).

Just this week I decided to buy a new phono and listened to several including the Fono MM and it is definitely a step up from the A2D so your dealer gave you good advice.

I actually bought the Aria but the price jump is big from the Fono MM and only really valid if you need both MM & MC and then only if you move well up the cartridge range.

Stick with what you like and spend your money on lp's

mel

+ Reply to Thread