+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Brexit effect on HiFi?

I'm Kevin.

Default The Brexit effect on HiFi?

(Disclaimer: This is a bit of a tongue in cheek post to get away from the current farce that is the I portance of Brexit during the skiing holidays. You don’t have to read it if you don’t want to.....)

Out of interest, has anybody thought about the implications of Brexit on their HiFi?
    Once the Brexit deadline passes, and after the adjustment period EU law will no longer be applicable in the U.K., as British law will stand. Does that also mean that the use of European standard plugs will not be allowed? They won’t me British regulations, so will your HiFi sound worse as you are “obliged” to change your plugs back to BS approved plugs.

Will that mean I will have a large choice of second hand power leads at cheap prices, as they will become worthless?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Dominic.

I just hope that there won't be a raft of import taxes imposed and huge customs delays when buying kit from the EU countries, as there is some super gear being made in Germany and Poland to name just two.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Kevin.

I have the same thoughts, but about stuff from the “United” Kingdom.
    Kevin

I'm Grant.

it really should go back to what it was supposed to be.. a trade alliance. ive no problem with free temporary movement(within reason) either. Permanent movement should be by application tho. I might add im not a brexiteer.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Electrical safety regs are unlikely to change, the EU laws are already duplicated in English law anyway.

Import tariffs are a different matter, anything made in Europe and shipped here might have duty on it in the future. Should make British built kit look more competitively priced in its home market though and encourage more British based manufacturing so every cloud has a silver lining.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Kevin.

True, but it may make British HiFi more expensive, and less competitive in the European market.
    I wonder how much kit in the U.K. is exported to the EU market as a percentage of the manufacturers total sales volume?
    Kevin

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    True, but it may make British HiFi more expensive, and less competitive in the European market.
    No question about it. If we tax them they'll tax us. It's all swings and roundabouts this economics malarkey. If euro is strong against sterling that would be offset to some extent though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Phil.

the brexit effect on hi fi for me is i am 1] very cautious about buying european kit that needs support from eu dealers i.e italian etc

2] extremely nervous about interest rate rises which could increase mortgage costs and therefore much less disposable income for hi fi
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Kevin.

Here in France, the interest rate on a mortgage is fixed for the entire term of the mortgage.

My other concern would be the increased cost of living as some imported goods will be more expensive.
    Kevin

I'm Phil.

my word , fixed for whole time . so if you take out a mortgage at 5 % and rates reduce to 2 % you are stuck with your rate of 5% ?

here we tend to have new deals every 2-5 years to fix rates
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast