+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Crap weather for February!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    looks like its ready to fall down. WE have an old hotel thats listed. no one will do it up as it would cost a fortune to do it the way they want and for the use its allowed. will they change their attitude? nope, they would rather it fall down and kill folk. pointless
    Same here, they have just knocked down this old pub. Not sure how old but the red brick building to the right is 1869 and the pub is older. It closed in about 1998. Anywhere else this would be a listed building. Note it still has the original windows (the interior was all original too including the quarry tile floors). A great shame.

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Oh my God Marco, where did you dig that one up? My sister will go mental!

I remember when she was in her teens, and we were all at a christening or something, and my stepdad mentioned to my dad that Tracy was turning out to be a bonny young woman (he wasn't being pervy or anything), and my dad replied "Yes, she's the face of the eighties". My stepdad always referred to her as the Face of the Eighties until his dying day. These days she has the face of someone in their eighties.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Strange - you call UPVC an invention of the devil, but you're perfectly happy with all your "leather look" vinyl outfits!
    Yes, but I only accepted them out of politeness, when you were clearing out your wardrobe, even though they were stretched to buggery [with 'questionable stains' in key places, especially on that pink catsuit with the 'peek-a-boo' crotch]. Not only that, but you pinched it back off me again for that swingers do in Adlington!

As an installer of UPVC windows doors and roofline, I should be taking the opposite view, but I won't. It's nice to see a home with well-preserved original features. Of course it is mostly a matter of taste, and older isn't necessarily better, as I'm sure you'll appreciate next time you're out in your Merc with the not-so-old car stereo blaring, or when you're watching your 4K giant telly.
    Ah, so that's what keeps Anita in the style she's become accustomed to?

Yeah, I completely agree. Older isn't always necessarily best, the same as vice versa. When it comes to properties though, especially old ones with some history, they should always be kept as original as possible. And I wouldn't thank you for ANY form of mass-produced 'new build' from Barratt, or whatever (rows upon rows of squashed together, soulless 'dolls houses'), as for me they're an abomination...

With houses, I either like proper old, at least 100 years (as long as the property still has some/most of its original features), or ultra-modern 'hi-tech'. I dislike the stuff in between.

These are the types of windows we have throughout (pic taken when we were recently installing a new kitchen):

And when the kitchen was almost completed:

All individual leaded panes (with solid sandstone surrounds), done by hand by the chap [a true 'old school' craftsman, as constructing proper leaded windows now is a dying art] whose business I've linked to in my signature. Costs a bloody fortune to replace, if any are damaged.

Could you imagine UPVC in a period property like that? Doesn't stop daft door-to-door window salesmen trying their luck, though!

Marco.

P.S I love how you've grown your hair.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Oh my God Marco, where did you dig that one up? My sister will go mental!

I think that look has a certain unmistakable 'charm'.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    upvc here all round... may not be stylish but its clean, tidy, warm and low maintenance. not my house tho...
    That's the point though, innit

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

bitter cold wind still even tho its 5c. goes right through you. still ive got milk again so im fine for a while . a trip to the hospita tomorrow is all thats on at moment for week.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Looking very nice, and tastefully done. The Belfast sink's a nice touch, but they can be a bugger for breaking things in, if you're a bit clumsy! I'm assuming Del's the designer, and you were put in charge of the fridge magnets If I were visiting, I'd be tempted to shuffle them around, to mess with your head a little.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

Looking very nice, and tastefully done. The Belfast sink's a nice touch, but they can be a bugger for breaking things in, if you're a bit clumsy! I'm assuming Del's the designer, and you were put in charge of the fridge magnets If I were visiting, I'd be tempted to shuffle them around, to mess with your head a little.
    Ha - you assume wrong, mon ami... It was very much a joint effort, as it always is with these things. I'm into interior design (partly because of working with interior designers), as part of my job, and Del's always loved it. We designed the bathroom from scratch, too...

Entrance to my farting chamber (then a small hall, before getting to the actual bathroom door):

View [when pressing out one of my infamous 'torpedos']...

You should feel honoured!!

The fridge magnet thing is something I'd do to you

Marco.
    Main System

Btw, the kitchen started off looking like this:

As you can see, it was a decent 'wee project'!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

What's the shovel for in the bottom picture? Did you have to do your jobbies on the floor until the bog was installed? Seriously I think it all looks great, and totally in keeping with the building. However...

Those windows, nice as they are, look to be a triumph of style over practicality, and for probably 95% of us would have more cons than pro's - there'll be next to no insulation properties (I'm assuming they are single glaze) and unless the workmanship is absolutely first class would be a bit draughty too. I've no doubt your man has done a first rate job, and work done to that standard doesn't come cheap! Which brings me to another con:

A whole house of windows in QUALITY upvc could be done for half the cost (or less), and that, combined with the energy savings, would make it a no-brainer for most of us.

Just one pro: just look at them, they look great! And it were my house, and I could afford it, I would do exactly the same.

By the way, tiling the bathroom walls is a canny touch - painted walls would be peeling inside a month

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast