+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GE 211 possible problem “opinions”

I'm Pete.

Default GE 211 possible problem “opinions”

Hope someone can help, just finished dusting my 211 based amp and noticed one of the mini spring type thing has fallen off. The amp still sounds fine with no obvious problems, but is this valve now scrap or will it be ok? Not sure what this springy thing does. Any one know if it will be alright or not?
    Right hand valve in the picture. Doesn’t show well but the springs show better in the left valve. They seem to be connected to the ceramic cross in the top maybe to adjust for heat.
    P.s. Valves are GE 211 so replacing would be expensive, possibly not available.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by phoenixpete; 31-01-2019 at 15:13. Reason: Add info
    Pete.

Main amp is an Electrocompaniat eci2 Sony qs930 cd, Sony tuner,Stan dac,modified x10d with little pinkie se and of course Quad esl57s fully serviced with much better legs and widgets. Sometimes swap to my kef reference 3s or Rogers pro9 Tls.

I'm Alan.

Hi Pete, unfortunately this could be a problem. The spring is part of the filament support, the springs are shown in the next picture.
    They hold up the two top loops of the filament.

You can see the glowing filament in this next picture.

The problem is if the filament is adrift and comes into contact with the grid, also shown in the picture above. That is probably the end of the valve.

Get something like a photographic filter to reduce the light intensity and see if you can see how the filament is positioned.
    Hopefully part of the spring may be missing but the filament is still being held up centrally to the grid.

I'm Pete.

Thanks for the quick reply. I can see the filament ok, it is just sitting there in it’s proper position exactly the same height as the other side the spring hanger is sitting at the bottom of the tube, not broken at all, must have just fallen off when the valve was upside down as I was cleaning it. Nothing holding the filament but it seems ok at the moment.
    Pete.

Main amp is an Electrocompaniat eci2 Sony qs930 cd, Sony tuner,Stan dac,modified x10d with little pinkie se and of course Quad esl57s fully serviced with much better legs and widgets. Sometimes swap to my kef reference 3s or Rogers pro9 Tls.

I'm Justin.

GE are the most common and cheapest of the 211 family, so if it goes bad you are relatively lucky. I have a quad of them... maybe more, all from ebay USA some years ago. Usually around Ł300 a pair.

I'm James.

Agree with User211, they are still available. I wouldn't use that valve in case the filament drops down. If it does then that will be curtains for the valve, but if it snaps and bridges the grid and anode it could be a nasty bang and plenty of magic smoke from inside the amp. Is it worth a very serious amp repair to continue?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Pete.

I agree, I won’t run it again with that valve in. I have a pair of Chelmer branded premium 211’s I can put in for now. Really don’t like buying these for delivery as I have had them arrive with the spring supports broken. Need to find some within driving distance of Dorset I think.
    Pete.

I'm James.

I've heard good things about the Chinese 211 and 845 tubes but unfortunately have no experience of either. A pretty safe bet I'd say, and near certainly where Chelmer must source from.

I'm Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    I've heard good things about the Chinese 211 and 845 tubes but unfortunately have no experience of either. A pretty safe bet I'd say, and near certainly where Chelmer must source from.

Got the Chelmers in and warmed up. They sound fine, not sure the bass is as good as the GE’s but not bad. Will maybe have a try of the newer supposedly more rugged Psvane 211.
    Pete.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Still dont think you can beat good NOS, as said above still available at not too silly prices. Problem is getting what the seller claims them to be, eBay can be a minefield as I’m sure you’re aware.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Justin.

Of the NOS carbon plates Amperex are the best sonically.

They are also a pig to get now.

I did a bake off with other people not using.my amps using KR 211, GE, RCA, Chinese Shuguang (the Chelmers) and the Amperex.

Verdict was Amperex. In my amps at home the verdict is Amperex. I have quads and more of the above except the KR so I know. I have 7 Amperex in total.

If I was to take a plunge on something new I would probably go for the Pavane molybdenum made for AN.

The STC 4242 NOS molybdenum was probably the incentive for the AN Psvane Moly's. Metal plates in other words. PQ seemed to like the STC anyway.

BTW IMHO it isn't even really close. Amperex are quite obviously the best. The GEs are pretty OK though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast