+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Quad power amps.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Buy either a Krell KSA50s or a Neurochrome 286, put a DCB1 Turbo on it and stop messing around and wasting your time.
    Good advice!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

The 306 has more life and verve than the 909. Good little amp with enough power for most systems.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The 306 has more life and verve than the 909. Good little amp with enough power for most systems.
    Yes one of their best, a masterpiece one could say. Can benefit from a few tweaks to how T2 is biased, but out of the box is a great hifi investment

I'm Mike.

Buy either a Krell KSA50s or a Neurochrome 286, put a DCB1 Turbo on it and stop messing around and wasting your time.
    Well, I used to use Naim, then got tired of the thin sound, so went the opposite way with Quad, as much as the Quad beats the Naim stuff I had in terms of separation and detail, with some of my favourite music - like the Stones - it kinda sucks. So now I've better sorted my turntable set up, I think there are loads of options, just want a decent quality amp - pre/power or integrated - but would prefer integrated as my instincts tell me the sound coheres better rather than 2 separate boxes with interconnects, that delivers the hifi qualities of the 909 but with a slightly different sonic signature, a bit more punch.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I have a 306 but its poorly at the minute so I cannot compare, should be up and running again soonish.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Well, I used to use Naim, then got tired of the thin sound, so went the opposite way with Quad, as much the Quad beats the Naim stuff I had in terms of separation and detail, with some of my favourite music - like the Stones - it kinda sucks. So now I've better sorted my turntable set up, I think there are loads of options, just want a decent quality amp - pre/power or integrated - that delivers the hifi qualities of the 909 but with a slightly different sonic signature, bit more punch.
    I worry for you Mike. Following your progress closely and it seems you don't really know what sou d you want other than not wanting the one you have.

Naim don't give you transparency, they give PRaT and leading edge, the idea of excitement, a bit like trying doing your daily commute in a formula one car. It's not fun every single day . The quad gives you warm and cuddly, easy listening.......boring.

If you want transparency and neutrality, delivered with power, body and soul that makes you feel alive, then do as I've advised, and Martin backed up.

Honestly, I can't remember what speakers you're using or cables or source but if you get the amplification right, it's easier to get the rest right.

The fact I can hear what the quad amps do, means it would grate on me. I shouldn't hear it in use. Hence the reco of Krell KSA50S

BTW, I'm not saying anyone shouldn't like Quad amps, just that I don't like what I've heard.

I'm Mike.

I worry for you Mike. Following your progress closely and it seems you don't really know what sou d you want other than not wanting the one you have.

Naim don't give you transparency, they give PRaT and leading edge, the idea of excitement, a bit like trying doing your daily commute in a formula one car. It's not fun every single day . The quad gives you warm and cuddly, easy listening.......boring.

If you want transparency and neutrality, delivered with power, body and soul that makes you feel alive, then do as I've advised, and Martin backed up.

Honestly, I can't remember what speakers you're using or cables or source but if you get the amplification right, it's easier to get the rest right.

The fact I can hear what the quad amps do, means it would grate on me. I shouldn't hear it in use. Hence the reco of Krell KSA50S

BTW, I'm not saying anyone shouldn't like Quad amps, just that I don't like what I've heard.
    I think its very dependent on what music you listen to, hence why I cannot listen to some of my favourite rock stuff anymore with the 909, which is admittedly the very scratchy/distorted 60s stuff! But with other genres I really love the 909. But I don't think its a keeper for me. Have you actually heard Naim stuff or are you just going off its reputation? As the chrome bumper stuff is quite different to the current 'black' range.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I think its very dependent on what music you listen to, hence why I cannot listen to some of my favourite rock stuff anymore with the 909, which is admittedly the very scratchy/distorted 60s stuff! But with other genres I really love the 909. But I don't think its a keeper for me. Have you actually heard Naim stuff or are you just going off its reputation? As the chrome bumper stuff is quite different to the current 'black' range.
    I heard a Naim amp and CD player, couldn't tell you the model number but when it was done, I had to paint new eyebrows on.

Transparency is what you need, Mike. It's the key to unlocking your entire music collection and making it enjoyable.

I know you'll nip off to ebay or wherever and do what you want to, and rightly so, but eventually you'll realise that any amplifier with a "characteristic" will intrinsically wear on you.

If I were you, and you want to put that theory to the test, go and find some Hypex amplifiers. Not Nord or anyone using the boards, a proper pair. They are transparent and neutral and usually sell for about £700 for the pair.

As an experiment, you can't go wrong. Orchard Audio have a loan pair of the BOSC in the UK at the minute. Ask for a loan.

See what happens to your listening habits with them in.

I'm Mike.

If I were you, and you want to put that theory to the test, go and find some Hypex amplifiers. Not Nord or anyone using the boards, a proper pair. They are transparent and neutral and usually sell for about £700 for the pair.

As an experiment, you can't go wrong. Orchard Audio have a loan pair of the BOSC in the UK at the minute. Ask for a loan.

See what happens to your listening habits with them in.
    Thanks I'll check it out.

I'm Mike.

I been on Ebay again, got a pair of Kef reference 2s. Got a feeling they're gonna make my ears bleed, and probably not suit my room, if so I might consider moving flat, tired of being restricted by my listening room!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast