+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Quad power amps.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Thanks Chris, the 909 was serviced by the last owner back in 2017, wouldn't Quad have ensured enough heatsink compound?
    Hi Mike
    All the images I have seen of the internals of the 909 miss out on having heatsinking compound. If you want a second opinion, maybe
    ask Rob Flain at Quad, but it is common sense IMO and advised here: http://sound.whsites.net/heatsinks.htm#s9 to aid the transfer of heat
    to the external heatsink in every circumstance. If we observe the Quad 405 heatsink bracket it always used heatsink compound. Barry i am sure will
    have an opinion on this too.

I'm Mike.

Anyone use the phono stage on the Croft 25 ? I think my Graham slee era v beats it.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm matt.

Well, the Croft is here, listened for a few hours, won't make any judgments yet, but its making my 909 very hot, even hotter than the Khozmo did. Somebody mentioned changing a resistor in the Quad, or summut or other! I dunno.
    How you finding the Croft compared to the Khozmo or Little Bear?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Hi Mike
    All the images I have seen of the internals of the 909 miss out on having heatsinking compound. If you want a second opinion, maybe
    ask Rob Flain at Quad, but it is common sense IMO and advised here: http://sound.whsites.net/heatsinks.htm#s9 to aid the transfer of heat
    to the external heatsink in every circumstance. If we observe the Quad 405 heatsink bracket it always used heatsink compound. Barry i am sure will
    have an opinion on this too.
    I have no direct experience of the 909; the amps I use are various 405s and the 500 series (the 510 monoblocks and the 520). I would be very surprised if Quad had not provided adequate heat sinking, including the use of metal oxide silicone grease between the surfaces. It is possible that they use 'dry' insulating washers, as mentioned in the link provided.

If in doubt have a word with Quad at their service department in Huntingdon: they are very knowledgeable and helpful with enquiries.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    How you finding the Croft compared to the Khozmo or Little Bear?
    Hi Matt,
    Haven't had much chance to listen lately, being busy at work. But first impressions are that I was finding the Khozmo passive a bit lean, and not great with more basic rock music. The croft has more body and 'air' to it. Not really sure which I prefer yet, but I will keep the Croft in and may'be change a few valves or something, and concentrate on my sources like TT set up. Oh and of course put the 306 back in when I get around to soldering new speaker sockets in. Actually quite looking forward to trying the 306 again, I think it has more punch than the 909.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I have no direct experience of the 909; the amps I use are various 405s and the 500 series (the 510 monoblocks and the 520). I would be very surprised if Quad had not provided adequate heat sinking, including the use of metal oxide silicone grease between the surfaces. It is possible that they use 'dry' insulating washers, as mentioned in the link provided.

If in doubt have a word with Quad at their service department in Huntingdon: they are very knowledgeable and helpful with enquiries.
    Thanks Barry, I thought the same, it was only serviced 2 years ago.

I'm matt.

Hi Matt,
    Haven't had much chance to listen lately, being busy at work. But first impressions are that I was finding the Khozmo passive a bit lean, and not great with more basic rock music. The croft has more body and 'air' to it. Not really sure which I prefer yet, but I will keep the Croft in and may'be change a few valves or something, and concentrate on my sources like TT set up. Oh and of course put the 306 back in when I get around to soldering new speaker sockets in. Actually quite looking forward to trying the 306 again, I think it has more punch than the 909.
    Thanks for the update Mike. Keep us posted...

I'm Mike.

IMG_20190713_230920394_HDR by Mike Van, on Flickr

To give my 909 more air I moved it to my Ikea shelf, which is pretty solid. Doing so I had to use a longer interconnect (Straight wire chorus) between it and the Croft pre, a 1m rather than a .50m, I then used the 0.50m between the cdp and pre. Just played a cd and it sounded great. Then played a record and it sounded about the same. Improvement in cd playback. Thinking of changing the tonearm on my Notts analogue TT, still haven't got around to trying the 401 I got off here months ago, need to drill a hole in the SME plinth! Gonna try some sort of mains regenerator/conditioner when funds allow. Also really glad the Croft pre I got has single volume control!!
    Last edited by Mikeandvan; 14-07-2019 at 09:29.

I'm Mike.

Now starting to grow tired of the Quad 909 with rock music, as others have said here it just doesn't rock it. It has been lovely in providing some real hifi moments, with real insight and clarity, but now thinking of changing it for something with more punch. I was playing with an old Harmon kardon decentish integrated earlier, and whilst it was a bit rough sounding in comparison it did have more 'air', presence and punch, not a viable amp though, as I said too rough sounding. Of course changing the pre - currently a Croft micro might change things, but not sure how much. I literally cannot play stuff like the Stones anymore, just no life to the music. With other things though its great, just need the hifi sound - which I love - with a bit more punch.

Bigman80 Guest

Now starting to grow tired of the Quad 909 with rock music, as others have said here it just doesn't rock it. It has been lovely in providing some real hifi moments, with real insight and clarity, but now thinking of changing it for something with more punch. I was playing with an old Harmon kardon decentish integrated earlier, and whilst it was a bit rough sounding in comparison it did have more 'air', presence and punch, not a viable amp though, as I said too rough sounding. Of course changing the pre - currently a Croft micro might change things, but not sure how much. I literally cannot play stuff like the Stones anymore, just no life to the music. With other things though its great, just need the hifi sound - which I love - with a bit more punch.
    Buy either a Krell KSA50s or a Neurochrome 286, put a DCB1 Turbo on it and stop messing around and wasting your time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast