+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Quad power amps.

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Can't believe you didn't appreciate the PRAT of the Nait over the Quad..

Dry sense of humour, love it!

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Can't believe you didn't appreciate the PRAT of the Nait over the Quad..
    I don't think 'black' Naim really carried on that sort of Naim sound did it? In my system the 306 with that cheapo passive is much more pleasing, the Nait sounded thin by comparison, the Quad fills the sound out so much more.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm matt.

I think Naim is proof that the pen is mightier than the ear.

I'm Mike.

909 has just arrived, ok to run it with the Little bear and chariot syntars?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    909 has just arrived, ok to run it with the Little bear and chariot syntars?
    Of course!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Of course!
    Yup. The 909 is just a big gentle pussycat of an amp. The Little Bear likes Quad amps, it'll sound very good and the Chario's will be just fine.

(I bet the 909 surprises you with its weight )
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yup. The 909 is just a big gentle pussycat of an amp. The Little Bear likes Quad amps, it'll sound very good and the Chario's will be just fine.

(I bet the 909 surprises you with its weight )
    Yes it did slightly. All set up now, your description is spot on, smoother than the 306 and not as 'quick', not sure which I prefer yet......

I'm Geoff.

The 306 is a bit more transparent through the mid than the 909, but the 909 is perfectly good listened to in isolation. The top end is good on both, but more restrained on the 909, which gives that impression of smoothness. The bass is possibly slightly deeper with the 909, but seems slightly more agile with the 306. Basically, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The 306 is a bit more transparent through the mid than the 909, but the 909 is perfectly good listened to in isolation. The top end is good on both, but more restrained on the 909, which gives that impression of smoothness. The bass is possibly slightly deeper with the 909, but seems slightly more agile with the 306. Basically, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.
    Yeh, I've only listened to a few tracks, but that sounds spot on. I really like the bass, and I think more extension of detail and decay with the 909, I've a feeling the 909 will deliver more 'wow' hifi moments, but I might prefer the overall presentation and speed of the 306. Probably just keep them both. But one things for sure the 306 is a hooge bargain. Need to find a decent passive now, I'm getting tired of only having one input!!

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Need to find a decent passive now, I'm getting tired of only having one input!!
    I've got a Tisbury (3 inputs) that I'm not using if you're interested.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast