+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Quad power amps.

I'm Mike.

Thanks all, this 303 fellow might be just what I'm looking for, mind you I'll be collecting a pair of Chario Syntar floorstanders that I got off here, and will see how they sound with the 306, I'm trying to rid my system of strident treble. Certainly doesn't hurt the pocket swapping around some of these Quad amps.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Dave.

Thank goodness somebody bought those Charios.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Thanks all, this 303 fellow might be just what I'm looking for, mind you I'll be collecting a pair of Chario Syntar floorstanders that I got off here, and will see how they sound with the 306, I'm trying to rid my system of strident treble. Certainly doesn't hurt the pocket swapping around some of these Quad amps.
    There's a serviced one for sale over at the 'wam. I'd always advise getting a serviced one or getting one serviced. The amplabs ones are also worth considering.

I'm Geoff.

I regard the 306 very highly, it's an extremely musical little amp. I've been using mine this morning through big Tannoys and the sound is all one could ask for really. I can't fault it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adrian.

Hi Mike,

Not sure if anyone has said this before but your Ruark Talisman II may be the strident treble culprit here, they are known to be a bit bright. Although a Naim Nait 5 can be quite up front, so the combination may not have been great. Having said that the Chario Syntar floorstanders may be a better match with the Naim.

If you do go further with another amp then I would take your speakers with you to listen with what ever amp you are thinking about purchasing, getting a match that works can be tricky, get it right and it will you will be happy, worth the effort.

Hope it works out,

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Hi Mike,

Not sure if anyone has said this before but your Ruark Talisman II may be the strident treble culprit here, they are known to be a bit bright.
    That thought crossed my mind too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Hi Adrian,
    I'm using the Quad 306 at the moment, with a cheap passive - the little bear (£25 posted from China!!), I just bought some decent (or rather 'branded') speaker cable, the system is sounding a bit better, but I need to give it more listening time before I can judge properly, the Charios will land after Kegworth, so look forward to trying those. I listen to vinyl, but also CD, and when I can afford it I will by an offboard DAC such as a Beresford, as I still find cd listening to be the most strident.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I regard the 306 very highly, it's an extremely musical little amp. I've been using mine this morning through big Tannoys and the sound is all one could ask for really. I can't fault it.
    Hi Geoff, is yours standard or modded at all?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by IHP View Post
    There's a serviced one for sale over at the 'wam. I'd always advise getting a serviced one or getting one serviced. The amplabs ones are also worth considering.
    I find the wam classifieds a bit hard to navigate since the site was overhauled.

I'm Geoff.

Hi Geoff, is yours standard or modded at all?
    Standard.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast