+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Quad power amps.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    I like these quotes, supposedly, and likely by Peter Walker, the founder of Quad.

"When Peter Walker first revealed his Quad ESLs to the audio press he forgot to bring along cables. While his assistants were setting up he dashed out to a local hardware store and grabbed some appropriate cords. He snipped the ends off of, stripped them and connected them. After the presentation many of the reviewers were as curious about the cables as they were about the speakers, thinking that these orange cables they'd never seen before must have had something to do with the marvellous result. And so Walker was queried as to the brand, to which he truthfully replied: "Black and Decker!"

When asked to list some of the best speaker cables, Peter Walker replied:

"The best kind are those that conduct electricity."
    Here we go...………, whatever you do don't start another 'cable war'.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Here we go...………, whatever you do don't start another 'cable war'.
    Well, I concede that people hear things differently, I happen to agree with the Peter Walker thoughts. Just think of that ordinary thin copper wire in the speaker coils, and if using a valve amp the copper wire in the primary and secondary of the output transformers.

Now if we are talking microwave frequencies, things happen in a strange way. I worked in Microwave communications for 20 years, things are not quite so simple there.
    Spendorman

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I like these quotes, supposedly, and likely by Peter Walker, the founder of Quad.

"When Peter Walker first revealed his Quad ESLs to the audio press he forgot to bring along cables. While his assistants were setting up he dashed out to a local hardware store and grabbed some appropriate cords. He snipped the ends off of, stripped them and connected them. After the presentation many of the reviewers were as curious about the cables as they were about the speakers, thinking that these orange cables they'd never seen before must have had something to do with the marvellous result. And so Walker was queried as to the brand, to which he truthfully replied: "Black and Decker!"

When asked to list some of the best speaker cables, Peter Walker replied:

"The best kind are those that conduct electricity."
    Peter Walker is also claimed to have said, when asked which were the most important things one should bear in mind when choosing speaker cables:

"Most importantly, they should be long enough to be able to reach the speakers from the amplifier."

and

"The second most important aspect, is that the colour of the cable insulation should match that of the carpet over which they run."

I may have not reported his words verbatim, but you get the drift.
    Barry

I'm Ian.

I've never entered a cable debate, and never will. In this I am not stating a view...………when I displayed my system at Scalford a few years back (Harbeth P3ESRs, Croft amps, Quad CD) I needed to borrow some cables as mine are under the floorboards. I forgot to post a favour request and on the Saturday before the show bought some 35p a metre bell wire from the local hardware store. The day was a success

To get back OT, don't forget the humble 303. I have an Amplabs serviced one and it's my favourite power amp. This is against a 405-2 and 306. I may have posted this earlier, can't remember, but worth considering.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by IHP View Post
    I've never entered a cable debate, and never will. In this I am not stating a view...………when I displayed my system at Scalford a few years back (Harbeth P3ESRs, Croft amps, Quad CD) I needed to borrow some cables as mine are under the floorboards. I forgot to post a favour request and on the Saturday before the show bought some 35p a metre bell wire from the local hardware store. The day was a success

To get back OT, don't forget the humble 303. I have an Amplabs serviced one and it's my favourite power amp. This is against a 405-2 and 306. I may have posted this earlier, can't remember, but worth considering.
    How would you compare the 303 to the 306?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Alex.

I have a 303 in the system at the moment, usually in preference to my 405-2
    Spendorman

I'm Ian.

More fluid, reminds me of a pair of Quad IIs but with more power. That's what I love about it.

I'm Ian.

I have a 303 in the system at the moment, usually in preference to my 405-2
    Ditto, I prefer the 303 over the 405-2, which in itself is a lovely amp. I'm constantly surprised by how little all the old Quad power amps sell for.

I'm Alex.

Ditto, I prefer the 303 over the 405-2, which in itself is a lovely amp. I'm constantly surprised by how little all the old Quad power amps sell for.
    Price for a 303 has increased, a few years ago just over £100 might buy a good one, now more like £175, still good value though.
    Spendorman

I'm Nodrog.

I run both. The speakers are ESLs and into those, I certainly prefer the 303. I have tried the Kef 101 with similar results. My main amp is a Leak Stereo 20 and the 303 is closer to the sound of that than the 306. Might colour my judgement!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast