+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Quad power amps.

I'm Mike.

The little bear has arrived but I cannot connect the speaker cables to the 306 as the speaking sockets are loose, I connect, put lid on, then one or two of the cables come loose again, utter shite.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Geoff.

Is it your plugs? That's more likely.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

Some of the Quad 4mm speaker sockets are a bit weak and break. About 1987 I bought the 405-2 upgrade for my 405, it included 4mm sockets to replace the original connector clips. Some years on, when plugging a 4mm plug, one of the sockets gave way and ended up pushed inside the amp. When I fitted the sockets, I did not over tighten the socket securing nuts.
    Spendorman

I'm matt.

If you mean the 4mm banana plugs are loose in the 306 sockets, i'd imagine it's the fault of the banana plugs. Are they Naim plugs? I've messed about with them in the past and got to work properly. IIRC I just pushed something in the end to force the springy bit of metal out (sorry I don't know the technical name).

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    The little bear has arrived but I cannot connect the speaker cables to the 306 as the speaking sockets are loose, I connect, put lid on, then one or two of the cables come loose again, utter shite.
    Don't understand why you are taking the 'lid' off Mike.

For loose speaker post connections obviously best to have them replaced when you can, but in the meantime suggest you use some form of strong tape (e.g. gorilla tape) to keep the banana posts bound to the amp speaker posts.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Is it your plugs? That's more likely.
    no, i can plainly see the sockets in the 306 are loose, and there's no way of getting them secure.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Geoff.

I've just had a look at the sockets on my 306. They are an older design with thin walled receptacle tubes. If you open the case you can crimp them gently with narrow nosed pliers to tighten them.

Should you wish to replace them, there is only one seller on ebay with these and there are eight pairs left: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panel-Mou...53.m1438.l2649

I just ordered myself a couple of pairs actually .
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

I'm Alex.

I'm Mike.

Thanks to the above replies & links. I've managed to connect the speaker plugs now, although the 306 sockets will need fixing. Listening through the little bear its ok, bit more pronounced than the Nait 5, but there's a slight harshness to the sound. I guess a pre amp costing £25 is never gonna be up to much?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast