+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Quad power amps.

I'm Mike.

Now thinking Croft, won't need a service/upgrade unlike old Quads.
    Current system. NAS Interspace, Jelco 750, /Nagaoka MP 200/Graham Slee Era V. CDP - Mission PCM 7000. Amps - Quad 909/306/Croft micro 25. Chario Syntar 100 Tower. QED XT40 speaker cable/Straight wire interconnects.

I'm Martin.

More coloured than Quads though.

Seriously, I'd try a 306 with a passive, I reckon that will get you most of the way. You can pick up a near mint 306 practically anywhere, no need to muck about with it.
    Current Lash Up:

*Sony SCD XB790QS* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *

'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    More coloured than Quads though.

Seriously, I'd try a 306 with a passive, I reckon that will get you most of the way. You can pick up a near mint 306 practically anywhere, no need to muck about with it.
    That sounds pretty inexpensive, worth a try I reckon, then I think I will have to replace my speakers. Jazz must be the most unforgiving music on tweeters.
    Current system. NAS Interspace, Jelco 750, /Nagaoka MP 200/Graham Slee Era V. CDP - Mission PCM 7000. Amps - Quad 909/306/Croft micro 25. Chario Syntar 100 Tower. QED XT40 speaker cable/Straight wire interconnects.

I'm Martin.

Mike unless your speakers are broken or faulty they really won't be the issue. They're a decent speaker and jazz is not demanding programme (unless it's fusion or summat). But the usual plinky-plonk stuff is pretty easy on the system.
    Current Lash Up:

'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

I'm Grant.

Some jazz highs are a bit on edge. Nature of the instruments tbh
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA 3 PLUS/TIDAL - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Now thinking Croft, won't need a service/upgrade unlike old Quads.
    I have had a Quad 405-2 and 606 and they sound veiled and slow compared to the OTL Croft 7 which I have now. I tried them back to back a few years ago and the Croft was so much more transparent.

I used the 606 with a passive for 25 years and it was OK but sounded flat compared to the set up I have now.
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black FGS - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Some jazz highs are a bit on edge. Nature of the instruments tbh
    Can't say I find that. In fact I never use jazz to test the system since it always sounds pretty good to me. My jazz selection is pretty limited though. Dexter Gordon, Bill Evans, that sort of stuff.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Oliver.

Until the Nakamichi Is out of the system as a preamp, it's pointless.

I can't recommend a quad, I did not like the 405 at all.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3+/Allo Boss 1.2/Isolator 1.3 & Firebottle LPSU with Volumio & JRiver
    Amplification: Nelson Pass Derived DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator & Neurochrome Modulus 686 Amplifier
    Cables: SPOTFIRE Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

Price List For SPOTFIRE Cables here:https://bit.ly/2Uxiv3j

Alternative reading: http://www.audioaddictsforum.com

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Until the Nakamichi Is out of the system as a preamp, it's pointless.

I can't recommend a quad, I did not like the 405 at all.
    I'm not keen on the 405 either. The 405 doesn't sound like the 303 or 306. Although there a some doing the rounds that have been modified into monoblocks and they are good.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'm not keen on the 405 either. The 405 doesn't sound like the 303 or 306. Although there a some doing the rounds that have been modified into monoblocks and they are good.
    Fair enough, can't comment on those.

Trust your judgement though.
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK6 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Raspberry Pi 3+/Allo Boss 1.2/Isolator 1.3 & Firebottle LPSU with Volumio & JRiver
    Amplification: Nelson Pass Derived DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator & Neurochrome Modulus 686 Amplifier
    Cables: SPOTFIRE Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

Price List For SPOTFIRE Cables here:https://bit.ly/2Uxiv3j

Alternative reading: http://www.audioaddictsforum.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast