+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Quad power amps.

I'm Mike.

The 306/little bear is definitely sounding a bit rough, not a keeper in its current state. Get a better pre may'be?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    The 306/little bear is definitely sounding a bit rough, not a keeper in its current state. Get a better pre may'be?
    With contact-less switching / volume , makes all the difference.

I'm matt.

The little bear can't add distortion the same way an active preamp can. Passives do sound different but your pre/power is definitely not what's causing the problem you're hearing, unless there's a fault.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    The little bear can't add distortion the same way an active preamp can. Passives do sound different but your pre/power is definitely not what's causing the problem you're hearing, unless there's a fault.
    Exactly and neither can speakers cables or interconnects. So all that leaves is source and speakers, one or both must have problems.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    This shows otherwise: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thre...tortion.68076/
    Thankfully you do not need contacts involved with attenuation, its just a matter of making the better choice.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    This shows otherwise: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thre...tortion.68076/
    Thankfully you do not need contacts involved with attenuation, its just a matter of making the better choice.
    I've been saying for what seems like yonks now, that potentiometers like the Alps (especially the Alps) are the bottleneck in any system. They are fitted because of the cheap cost, reliability and channel balance accuracy. NOT because they are best for the sound. It's understandable. £11 for an Alps blue compared to £200 for a top class stepped attenuator.

Thanks for posting that link.

I'm hoping to get a listen to the Stereo Coffee shortly and will be doing a DCB1 v The Truth preamp bakeoff next week.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Exactly and neither can speakers cables or interconnects. So all that leaves is source and speakers, one or both must have problems.
    Is there anyway I can check my speakers for faults? Apart from listening of course!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Grant.

could be the main amp easily. i agree a passive shouldnt give that effect.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Is there anyway I can check my speakers for faults? Apart from listening of course!
    Swap in another pair is the simplest way. Don't need to be anything fancy, just a set that are known to be 100% - it could be a loose connection somewhere in the speakers, it could also be an issue with your cdp so if you can substitute there as well you can narrow down the issue.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

Mike am I right in thinking this is the first time you've used both the pre and power in any circumstances? If so you might have a prob with the 306 however unlikely that is with it's tank like build. If you have access to your old amp I'd stick that back in just to pin point it to either of the two newbies.
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast