+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Quad power amps.

I'm Geoff.

My 306 doesn't sound "hard". What speaker cables are you using?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm matt.

I've had Naim amps sound hard or harsh but the 306 with little bear is as smooth as silk. If anything, i'd say the 306 is a little too smooth for some peoples tastes.
    Although i've never heard the Ruark Talisman II, they used to get recommended all the time over at Hifiwigwam, so i'd be surprised if they were to blame - very strange...

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    My 306 doesn't sound "hard". What speaker cables are you using?
    Dunno, got some free from someone on here!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    I've had Naim amps sound hard or harsh but the 306 with little bear is as smooth as silk. If anything, i'd say the 306 is a little too smooth for some peoples tastes.
    Although i've never heard the Ruark Talisman II, they used to get recommended all the time over at Hifiwigwam, so i'd be surprised if they were to blame - very strange...
    What source do you use?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    What source do you use?
    What source do you use?
    Mine's a PS3 into a modified Cambridge Audio Dacmagic. The Avondale or Net-Audio modified Arcam alpha 5 or 5+ is very smooth but not at all dull. How does your record player sound compared to your CDP?

As Geoff said, i'd also find out what cable you are using (RCA and speaker). Some can have a strange affect on the sound, especially if they have silver in them. Flashback sales do good, cheap RCA cables. Chord Chrysilis doesn't do anything odd to the sound IMO, but you can only buy them secondhand. Lots of people swear by Van Damme speaker cable but I found it a touch soft (could have been my imagination). I now use TALK 3 speaker cable but also keep some Belden 8471 for speaker building.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Mine's a PS3 into a modified Cambridge Audio Dacmagic. The Avondale or Net-Audio modified Arcam alpha 5 or 5+ is very smooth but not at all dull. How does your record player sound compared to your CDP?

As Geoff said, i'd also find out what cable you are using (RCA and speaker). Some can have a strange affect on the sound, especially if they have silver in them. Flashback sales do good, cheap RCA cables. Chord Chrysilis doesn't do anything odd to the sound IMO, but you can only buy them secondhand. Lots of people swear by Van Damme speaker cable but I found it a touch soft (could have been my imagination). I now use TALK 3 speaker cable but also keep some Belden 8471 for speaker building.
    I use 2 sets of 'straightwire' rca cables - in and out. I took a photo of the speaker cable, I can't find any brand name on it, might be a good idea if I buy some new decent speaker cable anyway. Your source - ps3, what is that? CD as ever sounds slightly harsher than vinyl, but that just the medium right?

IMG_20190228_121208583 by Mike Van, on Flickr
    IMG_20190228_121203595 by Mike Van, on Flickr

I'm Shane.

Those speaker cables look like cheap crap!

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Steve.

Hi Mike
    Unless you have changed them since I was over your cable was Naim Nac 5

QED Xt40 will tame any harshness
    I have some if you want to try

Steve
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm matt.

Your source - ps3, what is that? CD as ever sounds slightly harsher than vinyl, but that just the medium right?
    Playstation 3. If CD sounds a bit thin or slightly harsh then it's adding distortion. I had a Naim CD3.5 that could sound rough in a revealing system (was great in a less revealing system). An AAA5 was the answer (Avondale Arcam Alpha 5). My Dacmagic was also a bit rough until I turbo charged it with Teddy Regs on opamps and a pinkfish flea feeding the clock.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998_mk2 View Post
    Those speaker cables look like cheap crap!

S.
    I hope I don't start an argument, but it looks like suitable copper wire.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast