+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748

Thread: Advice on Quad power amps.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I been on Ebay again, got a pair of Kef reference 2s. Got a feeling they're gonna make my ears bleed, and probably not suit my room, if so I might consider moving flat, tired of being restricted by my listening room!
    Speakers?

Lol, youre killing me Mike.

TBH, your best bet is to keep going untill you're happy. You've gone past the stage of help lol

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Speakers?

Lol, youre killing me Mike.

TBH, your best bet is to keep going untill you're happy. You've gone past the stage of help lol
    Judging by other forum members lists of 'gear they've owned' I'm quite moderate!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Chris.

I've been where Mike is (still there to a certain extent) . . . but its taken about 3 or 4 system builds to get to a satisfactory setup.

Agreed, it does sound like you should keep going, staying within the realms of spouse/budget sanity!!

If present company in this thread are recommending neurochrome, I would take note (in fact I have!).

However if you don't want to do the DIY or get someone to do it for you this may be of interest. Don't own one myself but have heard similar typologies and if you want a very well rounded amplifier with a helping of all virtues, this might be worth a punt.

Might take a while to get here though . . .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYPEX-UCD...AAAOSwPhRavbAU

All I can suggest is finding some speakers you really like and sticking with them. I have done so with my Quads and now will not entertain any bit of equipment unless it has a proven or (at least) theoretically technical synergy with them. Might mean selling everything if I change speakers but I accept that.

I still get it wrong even following these stipulations though so nothing is foolproof.

Reviews and recommendations only make up a small percentage of my decision process now . . . although they certainly used to have more of an influence.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Derek.

Mike, have you considered an Exposure amplifier? I'm currently considering an old Farlowe-era integrated to pair with some old ProAc Tablettes. I'm led to believe they have the propulsive quality of Naim but without any harshness. Sounds ideal for rock.

I'm Martin.

KEF Reference series are very revealing speakers, so this should put the cat amongst the pigeons.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Judging by other forum members lists of 'gear they've owned' I'm quite moderate!
    HAHAHAHAA, yes, like me lol

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    KEF Reference series are very revealing speakers, so this should put the cat amongst the pigeons.
    Which ones? These are the old ones. Reviews say the treble is fairly tame. I want a bigger sound stage, like I said if these prove too much for my room, I'll seriously consider moving flat, as I rent.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by deek View Post
    Mike, have you considered an Exposure amplifier? I'm currently considering an old Farlowe-era integrated to pair with some old ProAc Tablettes. I'm led to believe they have the propulsive quality of Naim but without any harshness. Sounds ideal for rock.
    Yeh, I mean there's literally thousands one could try. Exposure are popular in the UK because they're a British brand like Naim, Rega etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748