+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 48 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Quad power amps.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    Looks like the Quad has a 20k input impedance so ideally you'll want a 10k attenuator. If your sources are solid state they should be under 100ohm output impedance so you'lll be good to go with that. I know there are different opinions on this subject but imo the basics are that the pot you use needs to have a higher resistance than your source output and lower than the power amps input.

For example, mine currently is 47ohm for my source/s > 10k attenuator > 22k power amp.
    Agreed - nothing wrong with your reasoning there.
    Barry

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Ah!

Tom bought an Asian Pass labs amp. That is probably spot on for this.

Can't find a link so maybe tom can chip in?
    Pass was sold to Edward it’s 20w single ended, quite a beefy 20w but Ruarks though nominally sensitive do need a bit of current up them.

If this were me I’d give the old stuff a miss and think about a Quad Veena mk2 or even a second hand Quad Artera - depending which config suits you best. The mk2 Veena even has a decent MM phono stage ideal for that cartridge.

I never liked the 405 and a lot of these old Quads are getting to need some TLC now. I’m skeptical unless you have sentimental reasons for staying with one.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    If this were me I’d give the old stuff a miss and think about a Quad Veena mk2 or even a second hand Quad Artera - depending which config suits you best. The mk2 Veena even has a decent MM phono stage ideal for that cartridge.
    Having followed the very convoluted journey on this thread I would tend to agree ....

The older Quads do require some dedication (and often a fair bit of fettling) and given the confusion Mike is facing over something seemingly straightforward like a pot value ... let alone a matching DAC ... I would be inclined to a much simpler solution.
    As he already has a GS phono stage the first generation Quad Vena would be ideal - and in the long run probably cheaper. I have one and the output certainly reaches the same spots as my older iterations - but also has the advantage of a very versatile DAC and aptX Bluetooth.

Can't go far wrong really.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Having followed the very convoluted journey on this thread I would tend to agree ....

The older Quads do require some dedication (and often a fair bit of fettling) and given the confusion Mike is facing over something seemingly straightforward like a pot value ... let alone a matching DAC ... I would be inclined to a much simpler solution.
    As he already has a GS phono stage the first generation Quad Vena would be ideal - and in the long run probably cheaper. I have one and the output certainly reaches the same spots as my older iterations - but also has the advantage of a very versatile DAC and aptX Bluetooth.

Can't go far wrong really.
    Well, I've only just bought the 306, so I'll see how I get on with it. A lot of people like it. Can that Vena really be any good at only £600?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Can that Vena really be any good at only £600?
    It doesn't appeal to me really. I like the British built units, in particular the current dumping power amps. The Vena is built in the far east I believe.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inactive.

Can that Vena really be any good at only £600?
    Definitely - If I had to choose between my Vena or running my 405-2 with a passive and a DAC, I would probably opt for the Vena over the hassle and cable tangle of the latter.
    I have had the first version for 18 months now and have found it to be pretty much faultless in it's musicality and versatility but the Quad Vena II has had improvements on top of that (added phono stage and beefed up trafo for starters).

Don't just take my word for it - PM Grant (struth) and get his opinion. He recently bought the Vena II and seems to be well impressed with its performance.

I'm Mike.

Definitely - If I had to choose between my Vena or running my 405-2 with a passive and a DAC, I would probably opt for the Vena over the hassle and cable tangle of the latter.
    I have had the first version for 18 months now and have found it to be pretty much faultless in it's musicality and versatility but the Quad Vena II has had improvements on top of that (added phono stage and beefed up trafo for starters).

Don't just take my word for it - PM Grant (struth) and get his opinion. He recently bought the Vena II and seems to be well impressed with its performance.
    Thanks Mike, I'll look into it.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

montesquieu Guest

Totally agree. I heard the original Vena at the Bristol show and was really very taken with it. Been pondering ever since.

However, now the MK2 is out and has a phono stage I'm tempted to replace much of the entire second system with one ... my biggest challenge is what CDP or transport to run with it that won't detract from its cool looks. (My Sony CDP555ES just dwarfs it but maybe that's not an issue).

I'm inactive.

Thanks Mike, I'll look into it.

... forgot to mention ... it also has pre-out so you could run it through your 306 and just use the Vena as DAC/Preamp.... with remote control too

If you keep your GS phono stage you should be able to pick up the first model for between £300-400 (last one on here sold for £350 as I recall - was immaculate)

montesquieu Guest

... forgot to mention ... it also has pre-out so you could run it through your 306 and just use the Vena as DAC/Preamp.... with remote control too

If you keep your GS phono stage you should be able to pick up the first model for between £300-400 (last one on here sold for £350 as I recall - was immaculate)
    Didn't know it had pre-out. That's handy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 48 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast