+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 48 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Quad power amps.

Bigman80 Guest

No issue generally. I've only experienced issues with really like output carts like the Denon 304.

What are you using?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Just wondering how well my Graham slee era V will work with the Khozmo/306
    I reckon it'll work just fine. I really like the Era Gold V by the way, it's a very musical little unit, I should have kept mine, I preferred it to the more expensive Graham Slee Reflex M that replaced it..

My main concern would be the matching of the Khozmo with the rather sensitive input on the 306. There are ways to deal with a mismatch should it occur though. I'm reducing the input sensitivity on my 306 once the parts arrive.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inactive.

Just been reading a bit more on passive pre amps. I read an article that said - if I remember correctly something about how you might encounter problems with having enough gain from a phono stage, a problem not encountered with active pre amps. Just wondering how well my Graham slee era V will work with the Khozmo/306. I just sold my Nak, which would have enabled me to increase the gain, doh! Oh well, may'be that won't be needed, but just trying to get a bit more info for going forward. Khozmo will be shipped in 2-3 days. Ebay seller said Quad was fine and not in need of service in their opinion, was a hifi dealer not a personal seller.
    Not had a problem with a lack of power using 'pot-in-box' passives into my Quad 405-2 and a Cambridge Audio CP2 phono stage - or anything else I've plugged in for that matter.

If anything there is too much (i.e. very little travel on the pot before it gets too loud)
    The CP2 has a nominal 300mv output - no idea what the Era V does.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Not had a problem with a lack of power using 'pot-in-box' passives into my Quad 405-2 and a Cambridge Audio CP2 phono stage - or anything else I've plugged in for that matter.

If anything there is too much (i.e. very little travel on the pot before it gets too loud)
    You have a sensitivity mismatch between the signal through the passive to the 405-2 input. You may have a 20k or 50k pot (for instance) in the passive. Fitting a 500k may deal with this. It's something I intend to try myself.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You have a sensitivity mismatch between the signal through the passive to the 405-2 input. You may have a 20k or 50k pot (for instance) in the passive. Fitting a 500k may deal with this. It's something I intend to try myself.

Yep - I did try a Keith Snook attentuator mod on the 405-2 for a while and that did the trick. In the end I prefer the Q 34 as phono/pre either way so the attenuation was no longer required (and removed)

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    No issue generally. I've only experienced issues with really like output carts like the Denon 304.

What are you using?
    Nag MP 200
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

Bigman80 Guest

Nag MP 200
    Na, fine that is.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I reckon it'll work just fine. I really like the Era Gold V by the way, it's a very musical little unit, I should have kept mine, I preferred it to the more expensive Graham Slee Reflex M that replaced it..

My main concern would be the matching of the Khozmo with the rather sensitive input on the 306. There are ways to deal with a mismatch should it occur though. I'm reducing the input sensitivity on my 306 once the parts arrive.
    How will I know if its mismatched?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post

Me neither' I should read the box.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Na, fine that is.
    The first cart I had I really like, and replacement styli are only £100 from Japan, good if your clumsy or like playing records drunk.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 48 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast