+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Quad power amps.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Where would you go then? I mean the Monarchy is a very good amp. No question. Really that should do the job with a suitable pre-amp. The speakers and the source are fine. I don't know the Nakamichi pre-amp though but agree that barring faulty speakers it has to be the problem. So keep the Monarchy and get a different pre-amp? Or is the Monarchy gone already?
    I only borrowed the Monarchy from Steve.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

Bigman80 Guest

Also, don't forget, the Firebottle AIR is possibly in the price range. If he'll make one of course.

Bigman80 Guest

Ah!

Tom bought an Asian Pass labs amp. That is probably spot on for this.

Can't find a link so maybe tom can chip in?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I only borrowed the Monarchy from Steve.
    oh right I missed that bit.

Maybe better to star from scratch. What sort of sound are you looking for? Have you heard any other systems that you thought hit the spot for you that could possibly be copied or emulated? You can get a lot for not a lot these days if you know where you want to go.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Svend.

Mike, have you considered some of the older Sugden units? They have a more dynamic, forward character than the Quad 405, and seem to be able to drive more difficult speakers with greater ease. Wonderful rich, fluid sound. I have the P28/C28 separates and love them. Not as detailed as the amp/preamp in our main system, but more musical.

I'm Ian.

I have a Quad 303 serviced by Rob at Amplabs, with his new front panel, it's one of the sweetest amps I've owned.

Bigman80 Guest

There are a couple of 606 on eBay.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    There are a couple of 606 on eBay.
    I had a 606 for a very long time and partnered it with many preamps both passive and active.

It is a laid back amp, muscular but pipe and slippers.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Lee.

I bought a 606 on eBay last year and had the seller send it directly to Quad for a service, it needed a resistor changing and I agreed to them upgraded it to 909 spec. I initially rang a Quad and spoke to one of their technicians, really helpful, friendly and knowledgeable.
    I can’t say the same for other experience in the past with other manufacturers.

I think by the time I received it the total was about £650-700 all in for amp purchase and upgrade etc and with courier delivery.
    The service itself is pretty cheap.

That way at least you know it’s all up to spec.

I may be getting a BTE passive made for it although I have a Quad 44 Preamp I can use.

You could try a Quad and easily get your money back if not happy.
    It’s about the music
    70s Retro Yamaha YP800TT, CA1000Mk2, CT1010

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I know from experience that a 306 or a 303 with a passive gives a sweet and easy sound. Mike's having issues with stridency and harshness so that should solve it. It doesn't sound like your at the studio console but it doesn't sound pipe n slippers either.

Not that there are not many other ways of skinning the same cat but I just don't reckon Croft is the answer here as Mike uses his CD player a lot and I found the current Croft kit to be suboptimal with digital sources. It partners vinyl superbly well though. Someone told me Glenn Croft doesn't even own any digital kit, no guess as to why it is voiced the way it is then.
    I tend to agree with you there Martin with CD as a source into a Croft amp but I tried an Innuos server / Qutest DAC and A Macbook laptop /Qutest DAC, all FBA and it sounded wonderful!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast